• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto boy heading out West to BC & Vancouver!

Just found out for our first 3 nights we will be staying at a friends place right beside Stanley Park

And for the 4 remaining nights, we will be staying at Granville Island Hotel.

If that helps anyone with some walking distance recommendations (lunch and dinners please!) I would appreciate it!

You've got quite a bit within walking distance to Granville Island - provided you consider a walk of up to ~30 minutes walking distance.

First there's the Island itself. I'd skip the restaurants on the island (although the patio at the hotel is quite a pleasant place to spend some time on a nice day) but it's hard to beat a picnic lunch put together from what you find there (bread from Terra, charcouterie goodies from Oyama - known as 'Oh Yummy's at my household))

As mentioned, Go Fish (Lunch only) is near (about a 10 minute walk) - go west along the seawall

East along the seawall @ Stamps Landing (about 15-20 minutes) there's Ocean 617 (lunch or dinner).

Make your way up to W. 4th avenue and go west past Burrard (about 20 minutes from the hotel) you've got Fuel (L&D), Gastropod, Trattoria Italian Kitchen (L&D), Bistrot Bistro (D), Yuji's Japnese Tapas (D) and further along, Bishops (D).

Walk up the hill to Broadway & Granville (about 15 minutes). En route there's Connor Butler on Granville @6th (D). On Broadway - Cru (D), Memphis Blues BBQ (L&D) or keep going south along Granville and there's Vij's (D), Rangoli (L&D), Chow (D)

And as mentioned above, there's the ferry boats to take you to Yaletown and loads of options.

And if you don't make it for izakaya when you're staying downtown, GIsle is pretty close to both Zakkushi (4th and Burrard) and Hapa (on Yew). Do grab a reso if you go to either though -- I am a fan of the things on skewers at Zakkushi.

but it's hard to beat a picnic lunch put together from what you find there (bread from Terra, charcouterie goodies from Oyama - known as 'Oh Yummy's at my household))

Breakfast! Bagels, coffee from JJ Roasters, fruit salad, outside on the Mound between the Hotel and Performance Works.

Then pack a picnic lunch, and then head to Lynn Canyon park in North Vancouver. It is a 1 hour Transit Ride from Granville Island, including the Seabus across Burrard Inlet. Or, two busses from Stanley Park. Great suspension bridge; nice easy hiking trails, free :-)

Karen Dar Woon

We are leaving on Thursday and I figured I would squeeze another question in for you fine folk.

I am guessing that BC has some amazing seafood - with that being said, where are the cheap but awesome eats to be had to sample some of BCs freshest seafood?

Almost all cities by the water have their claim to fame cheap amazing eats - Whats Vancouver's?

Cheers

They're more than just fish and chips. It's near the end of the their season, but you may find peel and eat spot prawns on offer.  The scallop burger is pretty regularly offered too.

Reasonably priced seafood in Vancouver is surprisingly hard to find. You might want to check out some of the Chinese restos for this.

For non-Asian, definitely check out Go Fish. I think the spot prawns were done as of the end of June, but they put whatever is fresh off the fishing boats a few metres away on the menu. Their tacones are tasty and a nice change from fish and chips, for example. And it's hard to beat the location -- just be sure to go early as they close around 6:45 pm. And be prepared for lineups.

Another place to try that is relatively moderately priced might be Fish Cafe. There are two locations, one near Kits Beach on Yew Street and one in Kerrisdale on West 41st Avenue. I've not been to the Kits one since they relocated from 4th Avenue but both restos do simple preps with fresh fish and they also have good crab cakes according to the parental units (I am allergic so cannot attest personally).

Chinese restaurants have the best seafood deals in the city.

For non-Asian (along with Go Fish and Fish Cafe recommended above) you may want to check out the the mid-range places like Cardero's, Sandbar, etc. My own personal fave for special nights is Blue Water Cafe...but this place is not inexpensive.

This city needs more mid-range seafood restaurants.

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

Thanks for the great responses!!!

We will be staying at Granville Island hotel for half our journey so we will try out GoFish for sure!

Any suggestions as to a particular chinese restaurant that does excellent seafood? Perhaps a dish recommendation?

If it helps - we will be near stanley park for the first half of our stay, and GVIsland Hotel for the rest.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the great responses!!!

We will be staying at Granville Island hotel for half our journey so we will try out GoFish for sure!

Any suggestions as to a particular chinese restaurant that does excellent seafood?  Perhaps a dish recommendation?

If it helps - we will be near stanley park for the first half of our stay, and GVIsland Hotel for the rest.

Thanks again!

You know - everytime I take someone to Sea Harbour - they always really enjoy the dungeness crab with taiwan pumpkin (kabocha squash). It has fermented black beans and garlic - really delicous. BUT it is in Richmond - which definitely requires a car or taxi. If you make into Richmond - you have a huge selection of Chinese food to choose from.

Dungeness crab is probably the best bet at a Chinese restaurant in general. Rock cod is hideously expensive and bc spotted prawn season has just ended (though you can still order it). As you know - live seafood is sold by the pound - so that gives you a good idea as to final cost.

Given your location - I am not sure what is within walking distance of where are you are staying. Kirin on Cambie has very good dim sum and Rich Ocean has good cantonese standards - but not really above and beyond what you could get at Richmond Hill in Toronto.

Thanks for the heads up Canuckle...Although I do not think we will be able to make it out to Richmond, I appreciate the suggestion none the less.

I am ready to do some serious walking so that I can (hopefully) eat more and not bring back any extra weight with me!

Cant wait to see beautiful BC!

Actually Richmond is super easy to get to by transit from very near the GI hotel (or from downtown). The express "B-line" bus number 98 stops at the south end of Granville bridge (about a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel) and will get you to 3-Road in Richmond within 30 minutes or so. Many restaurants and great food courts (e.g. Yaohan, Aberdeen Centre, Richmond Public market) are within short walking distance of 3-Road.

I'll jump in here with a request, rather than opening yet another thread.

Yoonhi (the significant other) is looking for a place for a girls' night out in the next couple of weeks. She wants to take out the ladies of our two families (without the kids), something she likes to do when she's back home.

Given the our two familes are quite....well....varied, there are some parameters:

1. Not too fancy. This is meant to be fun, not intimidating.

2. Not Asian, as this wouldn't be as much of a treat for the Korean side (and that limits Vancouver).

3. Someplace either on the North Shore, Downtown, or the West Side, as the defines the axis of habitation of the crowd involved.

4. Nothing vegetarian. We have two Brazilians in the crowd.

5. Did I mention fun?

I'm hopelessly out of date with regards to Vancouver dining. I liked Chambar, and thought that might fit. Yoonhi's considering that.

Is Aurora still good?

I did suggest the Ovaltine, and had things thrown at me.

Pied-a-Terre is getting good reviews. Is it worthwhile?

Anyways, please post some suggestions.

Peter

P.S. - I hear Moderne Burger finished their renovations! But that might not be quite what she's looking for.

I may get blasted for this, but my choice for a girl's night out would be Cactus Club on Dunsmuir and Burrard, not so much for the food (although I think there's something on the menu to please everyone) but for the "fun" aspect - from what I hear, it's packed most nights and it would be a great place to have some fun and people watch. It also has a great patio.

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Alex Gill gave Cactus Club a very solid review in the Globe yesterday. Looks like alot of Feenie influence is making its way onto the menu.

As for the choices mentioned above, I think Aurora is a bit more conducive for hanging around. I'm a big Chambar fan also. But Boneta has a great energy and some kick ass drinks.

Thanks, everyone.

Yoonhi's off to Detroit tonight, back in Vancouver next week. I'll let you know what she finally settles on for the Little Green Women night (okay, they don't all have that surname, but it does give it a nice X Files tone).

First off - A big thank you to everyone who helped me plan my path through the kitchens of Vancouver.

What a beautiful city it is...Reminded me a lot of San Fransisco actually...

Some touristic highlights -

Stanley Park - Luckily we had amazing weather, with rain only 1.5 days out of the 6 we were there...one of the non rain days we headed out to explore Stanley Park...wow! Talk about a slice of heaven, let alone right next to a large downtown city. We explored the rose garden and took the trail to Beaver Lake and saw some 2 amazing Blue Harrin's as well as a variety of other wildlife - we took the creek trail out which felt like we were sucked into a rainforest, absolutely gorgeous.

Grouse Mountain - I am proud to say we survived the Grouse Grind in just under 2 hours - Easily one of the hardest things I have ever done...but amazingly beautiful once we reached the top. Something we will both remember forever.

Festival of Lights - We were fortunate enough to be there to watch the USA blow some shit up in the air! lol - but really, it was pretty amazing seeing downtown streets closed off and seeing (probably) hundreds of thousands of people coming down to the water (not to mention the hundreds of boats in the bay!) to see the show - amazing fireworks!

Now on to the important part...the food!

Some memorable notes:

Noodle Legend (I believe its called...) - All freshly hand made noodles, we had the one with the beef broth and pork chive dumplings...very fresh tasty noodles, very affordable too!

Okada - Hands down the best sushi we have ever had! Fantastic service, such a sweet girl...

We started off with some of their daily specials.. Tried something I have never had, let alone seen before....super tiny baby squid marinated in soy sauce.

I cant say that I was sold on first bight, but it was very interesting, nice and tender and a soft, delicate flavour.

We then had some of the most amazing tuna, prepared in a way I would have never thought of - marinated in a soy/garlic sauce - large cubes of sashimi - I detected a hint of smoke in the marinade and confirmed with the waitress the 'special' soy sauce indeed had some bonito in it.

On to the sashimi - We had wild pacific salmon (the most amazing salmon I have ever had! None of this orangey/fatty shit we get here!) and some fantastic big eye tuna. We also had some Fluke and Flounder sushi, and some freshwater eel...all amazing!!! And we were full for under $100 - Fantastic place!!!

Cobre - We took our hosts out for dinner here as we had heard some good things while in BC about it. We started off with a variety of tacos - ranging from chorizo and potatoes to grilled pork loin/grilled pineapple and other treats...very tasty - oh and their margaritas were delish!

We then had some of their mains (all shared) - we tried the chicken taquitos which were nice, nothing special....had their beef short ribs which were a bit too fatty even for beef short ribs, and then had this amazing deep fried breaded dish with garlic/eggplant and spices and a very nice sauce. Good place - would go again, but be more selective with ordering.

Vij's - After a 1.25 hour wait (we went to chapters to read some magazines!) we finally got a table, and another 25 minute wait for someone to realize "oh...noone has taken your order yet!?" - - Needless to say we were not impressed with the service, but good thing the food made up for it. I started off with a few spoons of their Crab with Caramelized spicy beets...fantastic stuff!!!

We then had the samosas which were excellent as well.

Then shared the Duck curry and the pork loin/ribs curry - both were delicious.

Service sucked, food was great...would I go back...not too sure, depends on the lineup!

One thing to note - we stayed at the Granville Island Hotel and ate at their restaurant the first night - their Chilli Calamari was AMAZING! Very strong and powerful flavours, but really tasty!

All in all, we loved BC, and cant wait to come back!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Although I don't live there anymore, my family does and it is still what I consider home and am very proud to be from there (usually).

Btw - Vij's has a cookbook that I'm currently playing with - very good so far - and definitely don't have to worry about the service. hehe.

ps. now that you've been there keep an eye out on the scenery in movies you watch that are supposed to be american - quite often they're made in Van or TO (even to substitute places like NY)