• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto boy heading out West to BC & Vancouver!

Good afternoon to all my West Coast Canadian friends!

Well the time has come and I am finally visiting BC!!! SO Excited!!!

I am going on business for 3 days but the Ms's and I decided to turn it into a bit of a trip and come down for 3-4 additional days.

We will be visiting Vancouver at the end of July and I am now in need of your assistance!

We love amazing food (duH!) and we love the outdoors.

I am looking for suggestions on the following:

1 good sushi spot (that wont break the bank)

2-3 Amazing restaurants you would recommend to your bestest of friends

2-3 Must Stop Spots to eat at (lunch or dinner)

As well, being the tourists that we are, if you could recommend some spots we have to go visit...all would be appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

-Justin

Good afternoon to all my West Coast Canadian friends!

Well the time has come and I am finally visiting BC!!!  SO Excited!!!

I am going on business for 3 days but the Ms's and I decided to turn it into a bit of a trip and come down for 3-4 additional days.

We will be visiting Vancouver at the end of July and I am now in need of your assistance!

We love amazing food (duH!) and we love the outdoors.

I am looking for suggestions on the following:

1 good sushi spot (that wont break the bank)

2-3 Amazing restaurants you would recommend to your bestest of friends

2-3 Must Stop Spots to eat at (lunch or dinner)

As well, being the tourists that we are, if you could recommend some spots we have to go visit...all would be appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

-Justin

Seeing as TO does not have an izakaya scene - I suggest one of those or just do a crawl along Robson and Denman where izakaya are in high concentration. Guu (Garlic and Original), Hapa, Kingyo.

Sushi that won't break the bank...Okada, Yoshi. Sushi that has the potential of breaking the bank - Lime, Octopus' Garden, Blue Water Cafe.

Must stop ceap lunch eats - JapaDog. I also like Hawker's Delight for a super cheap Singaporean/Malaysian meal.

Highly recommended restos - Boneta, Chambar, Aurora.

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

fmed - Thanks for the suggestions!!

Excuse my ignorance, but can you please explain what izakaya is?

Thanks for the highly rec'd resto's - - I will have to investigate further, hopefully they have online menus.

As well, can you possibly assist in terms of touristic attractions? As I had mentioned, anything outdoors is preferable, but I am open to anything!

Cheers.

fmed - Thanks for the suggestions!!

Excuse my ignorance, but can you please explain what izakaya is?

Thanks for the highly rec'd resto's - - I will have to investigate further, hopefully they have online menus.

As well, can you possibly assist in terms of touristic attractions?  As I had mentioned, anything outdoors is preferable, but I am open to anything!

Cheers.

An izakaya is a sake bar. Think of it as a Japanese pub where they serve Japanese tapas, Sake and Beer. The food at these places are of the "small-plate" nature and will allow you to sample all sorts of Japanese food that is outside the usual "sushi-teri-ramen" box. Vancouver is known to have a vibrant scene - especially at the izakaya alley of Robson and Denman.

A quick list Tourist Attractions...

Granville Island

Drive up to one of local mountains near sunset - eg Cypress to get postcard perfect views of the city

Commercial Dr for a bit of gastro-tourism.

Jericho Beach

English Bay

A day trip on the Ferry - perhaps to a Gulf Island or all the way to Victoria.

fmed

Well, here's a thought. There's a good chance you'll visit the north shore or drive through it visiting some attraction during the day. Perhaps a hike in the Lynn Valley headwaters or something. Kill two birds with one stone, when you're done head to Hana Hachi in North Van for very good sushi that is not expensive. It's standard fare, just very good quality. Or, Zen in West Van, very good, original offerings but pricier, they also have an excellent Sake list.

I would add Chow, Gastropod or Vij's to your dinner options.

If the weather remains as good as it is right now, you will have no problem enjoying the outdoors here. Stanley Park is worth at least a day of anyone's time. For culture, head out to the Museum of Anthropology towards UBC - you can combine it with the West side beaches or a walk through the endowment lands, perhaps.

For getting your bearings at the beginning of your trip, I recommend the Vancouver Lookout at the top of the Harbour Centre - just don't go to the restaurant.

If the weather remains as good as it is right now, you will have no problem enjoying the outdoors here. Stanley Park is worth at least a day of anyone's time. For culture, head out to the Museum of Anthropology towards UBC - you can combine it with the West side beaches or a walk through the endowment lands, perhaps.

For getting your bearings at the beginning of your trip, I recommend the Vancouver Lookout at the top of the Harbour Centre - just don't go to the restaurant.

Fuel (next door to Gastropod) is another great option.

fmed

Where are you staying? 

There are a number of very good dim sum and Chinese restaurants in Vancouver (and more specifically, Richmond)

I was going to mention dim sum, but I thought they have it pretty good over there in TO.

fmed

Thanks for all the great replies!

Ginger - can you describe the food/prices of these places, plz?

I am not sure where we are staying - I know we will be staying with friends for the first 4 nights around some very large well known (cant remember the name) city park...supposed to be very nice...

Keep up the great suggestions.

Cheers

Edited by sadistick (log)

my suggestions...

Sushi

Ajisai (a little out of the way in a part of town called Kerrisdale but worth it!)

Some of my favorite restaurants:

Parkside, Pied a Terre, La Buca (all same owners, all great)

Jules Bistro (I'm a steak-frites nut and these are some of the best in town)

Boneta

Chambar

Lunch spots

Go Fish - Kick ass fish and chips on Granville Island

Salt - cheese, meat and wine - good!

Au Petit Cafe - If you need something quick stop by here for a sandwich, they are delicious.

I cant tell you all how much I appreciate all the suggestions (and please, keep them coming! - Sites to see -outdoors preferable, looking to see BEAUTIFUL BC as well!)

So far, I have narrowed it down to the following - Not sure if we will be able to hit them all (we are there July 24th - 30th) but we will try!

Rare

C (Do they do stuff other than seafood? Fiance isnt fond of fish)

Chambar

Then I have some that I am still undecided on - urge me in the right direction!

Cru/Fuel/Parkside/Aurora/Vij - - Thoughts?

Salt and GoFish sound really interesting as well.

Also planning on checking out Okada for some sushi, SunSuiWah for some DImSum...

Again, thank you for all the help and I am getting REALLY excited to visit the western part of this beautiful country of ours!

Let's see....

Parkside! It's one of my fave restaurants even though I don't get to go very often.

If you're going to Granville Island (which I'm pretty sure you are), you have to visit Go Fish. They have really great stuff other than fish & chips too, like the amazing king scallop burger I had once (it was a daily special).

Sun Sui Wah always gets mentioned when it comes to dim sum, but I honestly honestly think that there are better options out there - namely in Richmond. Here are some threads that can help guide you:

Chinese in Vancouver and Best Dim Sum in Vancouver.

Rare is currently closed, but I would sub in Parkside in a second. In fact Parkside should be on your first team, period.

Aurora is west-coast-centric in ingredients and wine, which will probably prove interesting to you as you can contrast it to ON.

Vij's is an institution, and although I hear we don't hold a candle to [just about anyone] for Indian food, think of this as a highly successful marriage of Indian and BC. Remember they don't take resos so you may want to keep this one for the least busy night that you are here.

If you want to stay close to downtown, go to Kirin on Cambie and 12th instead of SSW for dim sum. Otherwise go to Richmond.

Closed?! Ahh Crap - Any idea if they will be open by the end of the month?

Will do on parkside - must check out what type of menu they have and am curious on prices (willing to splurge on 2-3 meals)

So what about some other must go's - - ?

I have been reading about Flying Tiger - any thoughts? What about C or Cru or Bin 941?

Thanks again for the information everyone...much appreciated!

Edited by sadistick (log)

I would seriously doubt Rare opening any time soon and, in any case, the previous chef de cuisine is no longer associated with the restaurant.

I would switch C with either Chow or Gastropod. Both use the best local products - Chow is more classical in its preparations (and also has a lovely bar with some of the best cocktails in town).

Gastropod is more cutting edge in style and cooking methods - minimalist room. The 3-course for $49.50 menu is an absolute steal.

www.chow-restaurant.com

www.gastropod.ca

Okada is definitely a night time sushi place - lunch is very standard. If you are mobile - I am a big fan of Dan Sushi on Fourth Avenue - very fresh and well made. It's right beside the most handsome burger joint ever - recently re-opened Moderne Burger.

For dim sum - stick to Kirin over SSW which is more consistent and imaginative.

Vij is West Coast ingredients grounded in imaginative Indian cooking techniques. Vikram Vij is about the nicest host you can imagine. Get there early - or be prepared to relax and wait. No reso's taken.

If the weather is nice - Parkside has the most civilized patio in the city - surrounded my tall green hedges. I like their summer menu alot - which tends towards lightness and freshness. Cooking is top notch.

High quality ramen restaurants have recently begun to spring up all over - downtown in the Robson / Denman area - there are a number of very good place to try.

In terms of Izakaya - the best is Kingyo. The cooking is tighter and more focused than other izakaya. Details, such as having perfectly cooked rice, show that they take things seriously.

As per GP's recommendations - Chow, Gastro-Pod, and Fuel are all solid choices.

Salt is a great little night spot - though the neighbourhood can be a little freaky. Cheese, local cured meats, and wines in great room that balance modern and warm materials. In that same area - Boneta is also worth checking out - if only for superbly well made drinks.

Lots of good advice here. Parkside is great place to go on a summer evening. Vij's is always good and if you have to wait you can sit outside in the sun with a drink. Chow and Fuel are good choices, I have not tried Gastropod yet. Others know way more than me about Chinese, sushi and izakaya.

For outdoors stuff - kayaking, mountain biking or hiking on the North Shore (a link to some north shore park information here ) or in Pacific Spirit park (50 km of trails, link here), walking, biking or roller blading the seawall - close to 20 km worth.

Cheers,

Anne

Thanks for the reply barolo...would I be able to see the redwoods in those parks as well?

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, if anyone has any additional reco's they would be equally appreciated!

Cheers

Just found out for our first 3 nights we will be staying at a friends place right beside Stanley Park

And for the 4 remaining nights, we will be staying at Granville Island Hotel.

If that helps anyone with some walking distance recommendations (lunch and dinners please!) I would appreciate it!

Just found out for our first 3 nights we will be staying at a friends place right beside Stanley Park

And for the 4 remaining nights, we will be staying at Granville Island Hotel.

If that helps anyone with some walking distance recommendations (lunch and dinners please!) I would appreciate it!

Near Stanley Park...The an izakaya crawl is in order: Guu (there are two in the area), Hapa, Kingyo...and points in between.

Granville Island Hotel....perhaps Rangoli or Vij's? Have lunch on the island - Go Fish is a popular reccomendation. There are a bunch of places in Yaletown just a ferry ride away.

fmed

Thanks for the reply barolo...would I be able to see the redwoods in those parks as well?

Cheers

No redwoods in BC, except a few planted ones - they are a California native species. All parks mentiioned will have large numbers of BC native trees like Douglas fir, western red cedar, yellow cedar, mountain and western hemlock, and amabilis and grand firs. There's no shortage of trees to see.

You might like Mount Seymour Provincial Park for trees and views. There's also Grouse Mountain and Cypress Mountain. All are only a short drive from downtown Vancouver.

Aside from the izakaya crawl idea, Parkside is a only a couple of blocks from Stanley Park, so will be within walking distance. Youy asked about menu: click here. It is a prix fixe - $65.00 for 3 courses.

Also ramen places on Denman are walking distance.

Cheers,

Anne