• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camping with Shiitakes

Ursula13

This morning, my sister gave me a large bag of locally grown shiitake mushrooms. Normally I wouldn’t have any problems coming up with ideas for their use; however I am leaving tonight for a five day boating/camping trip and I know they won’t last in my refrigerator until I return. Can anyone give me some ideas for use while camping? I will have access to a grill and a fire ring; and we have garlic, potatoes, onions, seasoning, various meats, etc. Thank you in advance.

This morning, my sister gave me a large bag of locally grown shiitake mushrooms.  Normally I wouldn’t have any problems coming up with ideas for their use; however I am leaving tonight for a five day boating/camping trip and I know they won’t last in my refrigerator until I return.  Can anyone give me some ideas for use while camping?  I will have access to a grill and a fire ring; and we have garlic, potatoes, onions, seasoning, various meats, etc. Thank you in advance.

FWIW, I've kept shiitakes in my fridge for more than a week.

I like shiitakes sauteed in butter or just grilled. Simple is best, imo.