• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NOCA (North of Camelback)

E, Are you guys boooked up for this coming saturday?

we are limiting the covers for a bit, but ring me at the restaurant manana and I will make sure you are taken care of...

E

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

E, Are you guys boooked up for this coming saturday?

we are limiting the covers for a bit, but ring me at the restaurant manana and I will make sure you are taken care of...

E

I called, Frank put me down for 6:30pm this Saturday, party of 2.

I'm excited!

• 4 weeks later...

Sunday may become the new Saturday night.

With a fixed three course menu at an attractive price NOCA's SIMPLE SUPPER on Sunday nights could become a tough reservation to get. The offering is a salad, choice of entree from fish, meat, and vegetable, and desert. Price is $35.00.

I dined with two others and we ordered the entire menu.

Vichysoisse with sea bean was sent out as an amouse.

gallery_35305_6184_30877.jpg

Next was the Sunday Salad: Baby greens, Camparai tomatoes, caperberries, red onion, Nicoise olives, garlic croutons, balsamic vinaigrette.

gallery_35305_6184_25171.jpg

Main Courses

Halibut was the market fish tonight with tomato confit, zuchinni tortellini, balsamic reduction.

gallery_35305_6184_33589.jpg

Skirt Steak with white bean ragout, melted onions, red wine sauce

gallery_35305_6184_59470.jpg

Tasting of Summer Vegetables, poached, roasted, and glazed.

gallery_35305_6184_60457.jpg

This showed up before dessert

gallery_35305_6184_46309.jpgCotton Candy: It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Followed by the actual dessert as listed on the menu

Brownie Sundae, marscapone glelato, salted spanish peanuts, carmel fondue

gallery_35305_6184_34995.jpg

Not being able to leave well enough alone we asked if the Gelato sampler available on other nights was a possibility and...

gallery_35305_6184_5285.jpg chocolate, coffee, pistachio, and malted vanilla.

NOCA has hit its marks every other night I have dined there and the Sunday Simple Supper is a winner for the customer and could turn into a home run for NOCA.

Edited by ahurwich (log)

Simple Supper II

Went back for The Simple Supper last night and didn't take my camera so I have no pictures to share, but the meal was excellent.

The Summer Salad consisted of red oak, nappa cabbage, shaved fennel, red onions, with citrus honey vinaigrette.

Everyone in the goup ordered the same entree. Hangar steak, baby green beans, beech mushrooms, fingerling potatoes, and beurre rouge.

Crudo was also available with a choice of big eye tuna, kampachi, or fluke. We didn't order any last night but I have had it several times and it is good enough to be thought of as a signature dish.

Edited by ahurwich (log)

Cannot wait for my upcoming trip to Scottsdale. I plan on eating at Noca on 3 consecutive nights . . . provided I can get a table :wink:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Unfortunately, I didn't get to eat there myself, but on separate nights my brother and one of my best friends from HS ate there this past weekend, both with rave reviews.

Ronnie, I'm jealous!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 3 weeks later...

I have had several Sunday Suppers as well as full on dinners at noca but did a solo grazing on tuesday with camera this time. There was one seat open at the Chef's Counter so I grabbed it.

One Sunday the amuse was the chilled white corn soup seen on the main menu. That amuse was a tease so this time I had to satisfy myself with a full order.

Chilled White Corn Soup

Baby Carrots, Chorizo Croquettes, Smoked Paprika Oil

gallery_35305_6206_27673.jpg

gallery_35305_6206_4756.jpg

gallery_35305_6206_24498.jpg

Next was a Crudo

Big Eye Tuna

Roasted Peppers, Jalapéno Tempura, Red Wine Gastrique, Red Sichuan Pepper

Corn

gallery_35305_6206_38450.jpg

I have had this before but tonight the preperation was a little different, the tuna being seared. Chef Curtiss is a wizard with crudo. The flavor combinations he conjures up are magical.

Some pasta

Agnolotti

Pancetta, Pork, Beef, Herb Butter

gallery_35305_6206_7099.jpg

It doesn't seem that pancetta, pork, and beef would be a light dish, however these little stuffed pillows were delicate and delicious.

Spinach Mezzaluna

Ricotta, Mascarpone, Pecorino, Balsamic

gallery_35305_6206_63232.jpg

Molto bene Chef Curtiss

A little gelato to end the meal and Bob's you uncle you have another dining option at noca.

Edited by ahurwich (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm embarrassed to say this is a month late in being written up, apologies to Eliot and forgiveness is begged from all...

August 22, 2008

My husband and I had a 6:00 reservation for dinner. We arrived 15 minutes early and were surprised to find only a couple tables occupied. No worries, the restaurant filled up very quickly, we must have just beat the crowd! NOCA has a very comfortable, modern and a little swanky feel to it. Not only is Eliot an amazing host, visiting each table and making recommendations, but his staff was friendly, attentive and on the ball the entire evening.

The food:

I can't remember the last time I smiled so much during a meal. The amuse to start was the finest dice of canteloupe and honeydew served in an asian ceramic spoon. The surprise was that in putting it in my mouth I also tasted mint and had the lovely pop of pop-rocks. It took me back to childhood in the best way possible!

Apps: We tried two: first, the tuna crudo with tempura jalepeno and sechwan pepper. The freshness and balance of the dish made it so hard to share! Additionally the lobster raviolo was earthy, savory and sweet. Eliot assured me that he would not think less of me for licking the sauce from the dish but I did find a small amount of restraint deep within. My husband and I were in heaven!

Pasta:

We shared the little pillows of pasta, Agnolotti before our mains. So tender and light even though the filling would suggest something denser. It was very rich and a little was enough for both of us. One note was that I expected the filling to be smoother. Although it was not chunky, it did have a fine texture to it. This is not a complaint, only an observation based on what my initial thought of the dish would be.

Mains:

Duck: Wowie. With a cornbread pudding. This was so very good, cooked absolutely perfectly. My husband declared this the winner for him. He loves bread pudding but the savory ones usually don't float his boat, um... he ate the whole thing. :raz: Steak: Cooked perfectly. Seasoned perfectly. Absolutely delicious. I don't often order steak out but it just sounded good and I was not disappointed. This came with frizzled onions that were a wee bit on the greasy side and that didn't seem to stop me from eating them :hmmm: .

Dessert:

OK, we were absolutely stuffed by now and we couldn't help ourselves. You know how when you don't like a place it doesn't matter what the desserts are, you just can't bring yourself to try them? Well, for NOCA, the whole meal was just so amazing that we just had to try the desserts too!

The first thing to arrive at our table was the cotton candy. Again, I was grinning so big I thought my face was going to split in half! I was so freakin' happy! I could have stopped there but, ahem, no. We couldn't decide so Eliot brought out a sampler. I think I split my sides. Donuts, vanilla malted shake, chocolate cake thing, chocolate chip cookie. My head was spinning.

Drinks:

They made a perfect Manhattan, the bar did its thing! And the ice is great... one huge fist of ice in the glass, slower to melt and slower to dilute the drink! The decaf coffee was French pressed so it was rich and dark. A perfect end to a perfectly lovely meal.

Don't walk... RUN... to get to NOCA. And introduce yourself to Eliot, he is a superbly charming host! Many thanks Eliot from both Lance and myself!

Wow- I just returned from Az, and dined on both Thursday, and Friday at Eliot's restaurant. The food was beyond amazing, and I was able between the two nights to eat most of the menu. it is also very affordable as is the wine. On Friday we brought my boyfriends client and his wife. The wife at the end of dinner said it was the best restautrant she had ever been to in Arizona. They returned on Saturday night with two other couples for a party of 6. He said that if they are this busy now then come winter you won't be able to get in so he wants to become a regular. His wife sent out an e-mail blast to a list of 100 people letting them all know they must try NOCA.

The crudo menu was amazing= especially the big eye tuna, and kampachi. We ate the foie torchon both nights, and it was perfect. The pasta's also were fantastic- I haven't had a agnolotti that good since Paul Bartolota left Spiaggia. The entrees were equally delicious- steak frites, and pork chop with the seared pork belly were my favorites. Everyone seems to enjoy the cotton candy they serve gratis after dinner. I didn't know cotton candy could taste that good- deffinitely not the ballpark type. Another whimsical touch is the way they serve the drinks- if you order a vodka soda you get a glass with a frozen ice ball and vodka, and then the soda in a separate carafe to pour as you please.

The desserts were also great, and that would be something I would normally skip escpeially after 3 apps, a pasta, and an entrée but they were to good not to eat. All in all great experiences both nights, and great atmosphere. The music is great, the staff are all clearly veterans to the industry. Of course there is also Eliot working the room, and making sure everyone has a good experience- I am so impressed. He has hit a homerun on his first at bat, and works the room like a pro. I know this restaurant is going to be a huge success, and everyone should make the trip to see for themselves. :biggrin:

Edited by hel313 (log)

Wow- I just returned from Az, and dined on both Thursday, and Friday at Eliot's restaurant. The food was beyond amazing, and I was able between the two nights to eat most of the menu. it is also very affordable as is the wine. On Friday we brought my boyfriends client and his wife. The wife at the end of dinner said it was the best restautrant she had ever been to in Arizona. They returned on Saturday night with two other couples for a party of 6. He said that if they are this busy now then come winter you won't be able to get in so he wants to become a regular. His wife sent out an e-mail blast to a list of 100 people letting them all know they must try NOCA.

The crudo menu was amazing= especially the big eye tuna, and kampachi.  We ate the foie torchon both nights, and it was perfect. The pasta's also were fantastic- I haven't had a agnolotti that good since Paul Bartolota left Spiaggia. The entrees were equally delicious- steak frites, and pork chop with the seared pork belly were my favorites. Everyone seems to enjoy the cotton candy they serve gratis after dinner. I didn't know cotton candy could taste that good- deffinitely not the ballpark type. Another whimsical touch is the way they serve the drinks- if you order a vodka soda you get a glass with a frozen ice ball and vodka, and then the soda in a separate carafe to pour as you please.

The desserts were also great, and that would be something I would normally skip escpeially after 3 apps, a pasta, and an entrée but they were to good not to eat. All in all great experiences both nights, and great atmosphere. The music is great, and the staff are all clearly veterans to the industry. Of course there is also Eliot working the room, and making sure everyone has a good experience- I am so impressed. He has hit a homerun on his first at bat, and works the room like a pro. I know this restaurant is going to be a huge success, and everyone should make the trip to see for themselves. :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...

Imagine this: a restaurant owned by someone who is completely in love with food and cooking. A restaurant owned by someone who is intimately familiar with an astonishing array of food and who understands what distinguishes the great stuff from the good stuff. A restaurant fueled by passion -- no, unending obsession -- with eating and with feeding others. A restaurant owned by a friend with whom you've eaten dozens of times; the kind of guy who makes you feel right at home because he routinely orders everything on a menu 'for the table.' A restaurant owned by someone who unquestionably 'gets it.'

My friend Eliot (whose moniker is molto e on these forums) worked on opening Noca for well over 2 years. It was grueling just witnessing the process from the sidelines. I cannot fathom anyone working harder -- or smarter -- to get a restaurant off the ground. From time he spent staging in restaurants over the years (learning how the big boys do it), to building networks of contacts, suppliers and investors, to hiring a dream team of FOH and BOH personnel, to securing a prime location and so much more, he left no detail unattended in his quest to bring Noca to fruition. There was absolutely no compromise in his process.

For no other purpose than checking it out and congratulating Eliot, the family and I trekked out to Phoenix earlier this month. We spent a long weekend there, during which we ate 3 consecutive dinners at Noca. The entire experience was exceptional. Over the 3 meals, we were served nothing that was less than great and much of what we ate was exceptional. Between Eliot's dedication, chef Chris Curtiss' mastery and the cornucopia of top-shelf ingredients used at Noca -- many of which are local and organic -- we weren't exactly surprised.

Below are some pics from our meals. It was comfortably dark in the space and not everything we ate photographed successfully. Still, I was able to capture a large portion of what we had . . .

noca.facade.jpg

Noca is located at 3118 E Camelback Rd in Phoenix, AZ

noca.olives.jpg

Queen Creek Olives and Roasted Almonds

While baguette is also available, during our visit, these locally grown and cured olives were served, along with roasted almonds.

noca.amuseegg2.jpg

Amuse: Salad of organic, free-range eggs with crispy chorizo and garlic chives

Fantastic and rich . . . I'd like a sandwich of this, please!

noca.amusepuff.jpg

Amuse: Blue cheese gougere

Another intensely-flavored palate stimulator.

noca.kampachicrudo.jpg

Kampachi Crudo with ginger creme fraiche, avocado and smoked paprika oil

The crudos at Noca are phenomenal -- immaculate and delicious.

noca.tunacrudo.jpg

Big Eye Tuna Crudo with ponzu gelee, fresh wasabi, cucumber and red sichuan peppercorn

This combination was truly inspired. The fresh wasabi, grated in-house with a sharkskin grater, was a scintillating touch.

noca.beetsalad.jpg

Salad of roasted baby Chiogga and Red beets with golden delicious apples, Port Reyes Blue Cheese and micro arugula

Sweet and savory brought together delectably. The cheese and apples complimented the tender beets and the mild bitterness of the arugula provided a nice point of focus.

noca.tomatosalad.jpg

Salad of organic heirloom tomatoes with crispy shallots, Banyuls vinaigrette and basil seed oil

These tomatoes, from farmer Bob McClendon, were phenomenal. I loved the crispy shallots, which were a cool touch.

noca.simplesalad.jpg

Simple salad of organic vegetables and lettuces with brioche croutons, candied pecans, pecorino and cabernet vinaigrette

There was so much to this delicious salad, which was hardly simple at all. A fantastic combination of flavors and textures that went far beyond the sum of its parts.

noca.raviolo.jpg

Laughing Bird Shrimp raviolo with braised artichoke hearts, arugula and barigoule

Tender shrimp tucked into house-made pasta, paired with artichokes, was another winner.

noca.crabcake.jpg

Duo of Peekytoe Crab: Crab Cake with remoulade and pickled cucumbers

A great, minimal rendition, served with house-made pickles.

noca.peekytoe.jpg

Duo of Peekytoe Crab: Crab Salad with avocado and orange

Fresh crab meat in a great pairing from chef Curtiss.

noca.scallop.jpg

Dayboat Scallop with broccoli rabe, celery root, applewood-smoked bacon and shallot jus

I loved this course, where it was all about quality and execution. It's a straightforward dish in which nothing can hide. So, the ingredients have to be excellent and prepared with skill. Everything was perfect here: the scallops, the broccoli rabe and the celeriac. This was an appetizer version. The entree version is served with potato gnocchi.

noca.duckconfit.jpg

Duck Confit with napa cabbage slaw, citrus-honey vinaigrette and curry oil

Excellent version with a slaw that was almost as compelling as the tender duck.

noca.eggplantcaviar.jpg

"Caviar" of organic eggplant with buckwheat blinis, pickled red onion, lemon and chive creme fraiche

A successful play on traditional caviar service, this eggplant-based version is fun and satisfying. Even the blinis were spot on. As with everything at Noca, all the accoutrements for this dish are made in-house.

noca.chitarra.jpg

Spaghetti Chitarra with spicy San-Marzano tomato sauce and fresh oregano

This dish is served with a fresh tomato sauce in-season and San Marzano tomatoes when fresh are not in season. The choice to use fresh oregano was inspired. The noodles were cooked to a perfect al dente. As was alluded to above, all pastas are made in-house at Noca.

noca.mezzaluna.jpg

Spinach Mezzaluna filled with ricotta, mascarpone and pecorino, drizzled with a balsamic glaze

The filling in these little half-moons was sublime. It was creamy and rich, and the lingering aromatic tang of the pecorino was immensely satisfying.

noca.tagliatelle.jpg

Pappardelle with braised lamb ragout

The third of Noca's 3 pasta offerings, this one may have been my favorite. Both the pasta and the ragout were easily good enough to be eaten alone.

noca.duckbreast.jpg

Seared Duck Breast with Alsatian tart, sauteed arugula, pickled huckleberries and duck jus

Perfectly seared duck, accompanied by the wonderful tart that was filled with caramelized onions and gruyere cheese. I loved the huckleberries, too, which were a great accent.

noca.halibut.jpg

Wild Alaskan Halibut with braised escarole, potato pave, glazed pearl onions and onion jam

I thought that across the board, chef Curtiss' skills with fish and seafood were exceptional. Here, the fish is cooked to perfection and the other components, which were all fantastic, highlighted the halibut without obscuring it. This touch was evident throughout our 3 meals. I'm usually not a fish fan but I've been thinking about it constantly since our time at Noca.

noca.kampachicooked.jpg

Kampachi with grilled peach, micro arugula and balsamic glaze

This combination surprised and impressed me. The fish was, again, cooked perfectly and the peach and arugula provided interesting counterpoints -- both sweet and bitter -- to its fattiness.

noca.lobsterroll.jpg

Lobster Roll

This is the Wednesday special at Noca and it's simply awesome. The lobster is sourced from the same supplier to The French Laundry. Here, it's served on a toasted brioche roll, along with duck-fat fries, house-made pickles and an addictive smoked paprika aioli that was a perfectly rendered condiment.

noca.porkbelly.jpg

Duo of Pork: Kurobuta Pork Belly with french green beans

Tender meat and sticky fat, with deep flavor. Awesome!

noca.porkloin.jpg

Duo of Pork: Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin with coriander spaetzle, golden delicious apples and sweet & sour demi

Masterful use of the circulator transformed this often avoidable cut into something moist, delicious and truly memorable.

noca.ribeye.jpg

Prime Beef Ribeye with olive oil-poached fingerling potatoes, thumbelina carrots, baby turnips and bordelaise

Another straightforward and delicious dish, distinguished by the kitchen's attention to detail. It could have been ordinary. Instead, it was anything but.

noca.searedtuna.jpg

Seared Big Eye Tuna with braised beet greens, roasted heirloom beets and beet vinaigrette

It was fun tasting the Big Eye tuna 2 ways. This seared version -- which was served with a small portion of the aforementioned crudo -- was delicious, and the pairing with the beets-3-ways was completely inspired, and new to me.

noca.skate.jpg

Atlantic Skate and red wine-braised Short Rib Raviolo, with cranberry bean puree, sauteed spinach, royal trumpet mushrooms and ruby port reduction

Unspeakably delicious. This was perfect. I couldn't believe the combination of flavors and textures here. The rich skate was tender and silky and the raviolo (house-made pasta, again) was fantastic.

noca.steakfrites.jpg

Steak Frites: Skirt steak with melted leeks, Tuscan fries and red wine sauce

This is not something I would ordinarily order but we wanted to try as many of chef Curtiss' dishes as possible. As it turns out, not surprisingly, it was a fantastic rendition that indicated a rarely-encountered level of execution.

noca.stripedbass.jpg

Wild Striped Bass with pearl onions, pearl onion jam and shallot jus

The skin on this moist piece of fish was as crispy -- and tasty -- as a potato chip. Pairing it with the onion and shallot components was a great idea because the flavors really sang together.

noca.cottoncandy.jpg

Dessert amuse of cotton candy

After dinner is over, each table is served a complimentary tower of cotton candy, which is a nice bridge to dessert. On this night it was strawberry. The blueberry version looks just like Marge Simpson's hair.

The dessert menu at Noca was conceived, in part, by noted pastry chef Kriss Harvey, who has worked with some of the world's top chefs, including Joël Robuchon.

noca.donuts.jpg

Warm Doughnut Holes with dulce de leche jam, raspberry jelly and dark chocolate sauce

Fantastic, fresh donuts that were just about the best I've had. They were slightly dense with a certain lightness and a subtle tanginess. The dipping sauces were fantastic, too, especially the DdL.

noca.chocbancake.jpg

Chocolate and Banana Pudding Cake with caramel, banana gelato (not pictured) and white chocolate sauce

An intense dessert, which really satisfied the chocolate craving that I often experience after a boldly-flavored meal.

noca.cheesecake.jpg

Cheesecake (balls) with walnut praline, pineapple, carrot cake crumble and white chocolate sauce

This 'cheesecake' was phenomenal. Not only was the cheesecake component rich and creamy but I could have eaten a boxful of the carrot cake crumble on its own (if I weren't already stuffed).

noca.malt.jpg

Milk & Cookies: Malted Vanilla Shake

Here's the 'milk' component, which was really malty and distinctive. It was like liquified vanilla crack.

noca.cookieswhole.jpg

Milk & Cookies: Chocolate Chip Cookies

Delectable cookies, served warm out of the oven.

noca.cookiesinterior.jpg

Milk & Cookies: Chocolate Chip Cookies

In all their gooey goodness. I think this picture is worth 1,000 words, at least :wink:

We had a few other dishes that just didn't photograph well, which I definitely want to mention. Mostly notably on the savory side was a wild mushroom soup that was earthy and rich -- just a stunningly delicious version. On the dessert side, the refreshing fruit soup, which is decanted tableside, is crisp and intense without being overly sweet.

All in all, it was hard to leave Phoenix, knowing that we'd be leaving Noca behind, as well. I went out there with extremely high expectations and they were just blown away. After 3 days of eating chef Curtiss' cooking, I felt downright spoiled. His aesthetic spoke to me in a way that made me feel like he'd reached into my soul and knew exactly what I wanted to eat. I guess that shouldn't have surprised me because as many meals as I'd shared and enjoyed with Eliot, I should have guessed that Noca's menu would be written in a similar vein. Still the reality of the food at Noca easily surpassed the intellectual understanding of it. Yes, it's more than the sum of its parts, it's the collaborative effort of a team of people who love food and love nurturing others with it. Plain and simple, this is a restaurant by and for foodies, and it's in a class of its own.

=R=

Noca

3118 E Camelback Rd

Phoenix, AZ 85016

(602) 956-6622

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

Wow! Great report and photos, Ronnie. I couldn't wait to get out there for myself before, but now...I am totally drooling. Soon, but not soon enough!

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I have to admit that the desserts as listed on paper didn't really thrill me. I mean, "milk and cookies?" But those do not appear to be ordinary chocolate chip cookies! That last photo is just sinful!

Twitter - @docsconz

Ronnie hits another home run. Truly awesome report once again.

I just caught it, so to speak. It was definitely the crew at Noca who hit it. :wink:

=R=

Great report, Ron. Eliot, can you say a few things about how those huckleberries are pickled?

Chris,

2 cups Red Wine Vinegar

1 cup Sugar

1 cup Water

3 pieces Whole Star Anise

1 Vanilla Bean Split

5 Allspice

1/2 Tablespoon Whole Black Peppercorns

4 cloves

toast spices in a pan...add vin, water, sugar and v bean to toasted spices let simmer until sugar dissolves and everything has enough time to "mingle" then strain liquid over huckleberries and let cool to room temp then refrigerate for up to two weeks

less fuss way to enjoy:

come to noca...order...put in mouth...say yum :)

we also use them on a seared foie dish with black pepper- fuji apple reduction, pickled huckleberries, brioche crouton...

Best,

E

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

Had a really solid dinner at NOCA on Saturday. The highlights: chestnut soup with fioe gras ravioli ( as good as I had at Daniel in NYC), shortrib ravioli (tasty but a bit over priced at $18 for 1 rav), scallops with salsify and vanilla brown butter. The shortcomings a very average lobster bisque ( touch too thin and a bit too much sweetness from the lobster stock) and the pork belly which had an unpleasent texture to it. Generally I prefer a bit more creamyness in my pork belly . Overall a really enjoyable meal and I'll be back soon. We couuld sure use more places like it in phoenix.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/200...simple_supp.php

And Chow Bella was also what last Sunday's Italian night was at NOCA. Looking forward to BBQ night and really looking forward to Cajun night. Only three more weeks until Fried Chicken again.

If food is the object of obsession is it still considerd stalking?

Edited by ahurwich (log)

Great report, Ron. Eliot, can you say a few things about how those huckleberries are pickled?

Chris,

2 cups Red Wine Vinegar

1 cup Sugar

1 cup Water

3 pieces Whole Star Anise

1 Vanilla Bean Split

5 Allspice

1/2 Tablespoon Whole Black Peppercorns

4 cloves

toast spices in a pan...add vin, water, sugar and v bean to toasted spices let simmer until sugar dissolves and everything has enough time to "mingle" then strain liquid over huckleberries and let cool to room temp then refrigerate for up to two weeks

Thanks for the report, Eliot. I have family in Montana who are always wondering what to do with their extra huckleberries. (I've got a Mason jar in the freezer that I'm thinking I'll put to this use.)

less fuss way to enjoy:

come to noca...order...put in mouth...say yum :)

I hope to visit in the spring, in fact. :wink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I have been to every themed Simple Sunday Supper except BBQ night, but I plan to be there this Sunday 12/7.

The second Fried Chicken night even surpassed the first. Friends with me that Sunday said it was the best Fried Chicken they have eaten. I don't disagree and NOCA says they can do even better next time.

Pictures of last Sunday's Home Style Italian Night. NOCA provided the comfort food I needed when the Suns lost after leading virtually the entire game.

Blue cheese foam apple butter Amuse

gallery_35305_6206_12838.jpg

Antipasto - Assorted organic vegetables, Iitoi onion fritatta, Bresaola, and cheese.

gallery_35305_6206_2593.jpg

Spaghetti and Meatballs (Chitarra con Polpetini) Garlic Brioche Toast (not pictured)

gallery_35305_6206_42448.jpg

NOCA's take on Spumoni (Pistachio creme, walnut sable, black cherry gelato, roasted walnut foam)

gallery_35305_6206_18550.jpg

And by the way. 4.5 Stars from the Arizona Republic

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/dining/articl...081117noca.html

Edited by ahurwich (log)