• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NOCA (North of Camelback)

eGullet Society member and Staff Emeritus, Eliot Wexler (aka molto e) is about to open a new restaurant in the Phoenix area called NOCA which stands for North of Camelback. This restaurant, a long time in the making reflects Eliot's wide interests in quality ingredients and cooking. I expect it to be a hit. This article from AZCentral.com gives a good background to the restaurant.

Noca – north of Camelback – is the work of owner Eliot Wexler, an international foodie who has scoured the world’s finest restaurants for inspiration, and chef Chris Curtiss, who did a first-rate job at Circa 1900. The restaurant is moving into the spot that last housed Eleve, on the northwest corner of Camelback and 32nd Street.

Wexler says Noca’s “modern American” fare is all about quality and value. Words like “fresh,” “homemade,” “premium ingredients” and “affordable” pop up in his conversation. His goal: “fine dining in a casual atmosphere at an accessible price.”

Restaurant noca

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Way cool! :cool::cool:

Count me in Elliot! You're only a hop away from my downtown work address so perhaps after-work nibbles and drinks!

I'm so excited, with you're name attached I know it will all be full quality ingredients and will taste fabulous.

Good Luck!

Genny

I'm really looking forward to trying my friend Eliot's place, even though it will require a dedicated trip from IL to AZ to do so. I know how passionate he is about food, and how much work, thought and diligence he has put into developing Noca over the past several years. Apparently, I'm not alone in that knowledge, as it was echoed recently in a column by Michele Laudig that appeared at Phoenix New Times.com:

Wexler and [chef, Chris] Curtiss have been sourcing ingredients for Noca as meticulously as they've cherry-picked the staff. Curtiss has seafood connections in San Francisco, and Fukuda is also sharing his Japanese fish suppliers. They're getting natural meats and prime beef from a family-run shop in Chicago, as well as organic produce from Bob McClendon (another Fukuda introduction) and Pat Duncan.

"We're going to use as much local, sustainable produce as possible," says Curtiss. "Whatever catches our attention, we can print on the menu that day."

He calls his cooking "modern American" — ingredient-driven, created with French techniques. The latest draft of the menu includes chilled white corn soup with baby carrots, chorizo croquettes, and smoked paprika oil; duck breast with summer squash, garlic confit, cranberry beans, crispy squash blossom, and duck jus; and day-boat halibut with Jerusalem artichoke purée, braised greens, royal trumpet mushrooms, and bearnaise.

Wexler goes on to explain that since America's a melting pot, there will also be homemade pastas, as well as crudo (raw seafood dishes, such as kampachi with oven-dried tomato, caper berry, pine nut, and mint). The dessert menu will feature chocolate and banana pudding cake, warm doughnut holes with dulce de leche jam, and several kinds of homemade gelato. And an evolving three-course "Simple Supper" tasting menu will be offered daily for $35 (Wexler and Curtiss' reaction to exorbitant menu prices at certain area restaurants).

Eliot Wexler is banking the success of Noca on his food knowledge and local connections

Good luck, Molto E, although, as you have demonstrated quite thoroughly, luck will have very little to do with your success.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Oh wow! Another local culinary vacation destination from Los Angeles, besides Northern California and Las Vegas.

Eliot, if there are a few more restaurants to try in the Phoenix area (besides NOCA, of course), I'm on my way. You've been warned ... :wink::wink:

By the time I get to Phoenix, it's time for dinner ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Best wishes to you, Eliot!!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Eliot, the menu looks fabulous! I love the 3-course meals, what a great option to include. And the crudo menu too, wowza! I see a foie gras piece on the menu and some duck, will you also be offering other offal? Sweetbreads, marrow bones, etc.

Would you call noca a "new paradigm" type of restaurant? Upscale food, reasonable prices, casual and chic/hip?

My husband and I are looking forward to checking it out.

Do you have soft/hard opening dates set yet?

Are you going to have a full bar? Will it be a mixologist sort of bar? Also, what can you tell us about the wine list, wines by the glass, etc.?

What kind of special events do you have planned (or just conceptualized) to attract patrons?

Cheers!

Genny

Edited by Genny (log)

Eliot, the menu looks fabulous!  I love the 3-course meals, what a great option to include.  And the crudo menu too, wowza!  I see a foie gras piece on the menu and some duck, will you also be offering other offal? Sweetbreads, marrow bones, etc

Thanks Genny...we will offer sweetbreads, marrow bones etc. down the line. We will print the menu in house so it will change very frequently.

Would you call noca a "new paradigm" type of restaurant?  Upscale food, reasonable prices, casual and chic/hip?

I like Graham Elliot's verbiage of "refined dining", our aim to to create an experience that we would like as a diner. Our Chef Chris Curtiss's background is in fine dining kitchens (Fifth Floor, Charles Nob Hill and Masa's both as Sous-Chef for Ron Siegel) so we will have the attention to detail from fine dining but presented in a casual but attentive atmosphere at an accessible price point.

Are you going to have a full bar?  Will it be a mixologist sort of bar?  Also, what can you tell us about the wine list, wines by the glass, etc.?

We will have a full bar and will have some fun with the drink offerings. The wine list will be comprised of California, French, Italian, Spanish and Australian wines with glasses from $6 - $12 and the bottles will have a range of pricing.

I will have some dates soon as we have a couple of final inspections to follow...

look forward to having you...

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

Oh my god, I'll be in AZ to sing for six weeks in September/October. I am SO THERE. Genny, you are SO THERE WITH ME.

:) This looks FANTASTIC.

xoxoxoxo

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Is NOCA open yet?  :cool:

Final Inspections this morning...

Yeeha! Good luck!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

So can I walk-in this coming Saturday night for Simple Supper?

we have the green light...we are going to open for business on Wednesday July 30...let me know when you are going to stop in

E

So can I walk-in this coming Saturday night for Simple Supper?

we have the green light...we are going to open for business on Wednesday July 30...let me know when you are going to stop in

E

Woo Hoo! Congrats, Eliot!

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Well Eliot... DO TELL!

Can you give a report on how opening week is going? 

Thanks!

Genny

I am also very anxious Genny. However, I believe Wednesday the 30th is the first night of service.

ahurwich

Edited by ahurwich (log)

Well Eliot... DO TELL!

Can you give a report on how opening week is going? 

Thanks!

Genny

I am also very anxious Genny. However, I believe Wednesday the 30th is the first night of service.

ahurwich

We will most definitely open up Friday August 1st...we just want to make sure everything is in place... :rolleyes:

We will most definitely open up Friday August 1st...we just want to make sure everything is in place... :rolleyes:

Eliot, congratulations on passing your inspections! Don't try this in the city of Los Angeles, unless you want more hoops to go through ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You might want to double-check your menu on your website for spelling et al.:

Fettucine or Fettuccine?

Please pardon the pickiness. Mind you, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. No pressure, ehh?

You got your purveyors all lined up? Are you sourcing your produce from California and/or more locally? What's been the buzz around town about your restaurant?

Please respond at your earliest convenience, as though you have nothing else to do ...

Again, wishing you well, Eliot.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Eliot, congratulations on passing your inspections! Don't try this in the city of Los Angeles, unless you want more hoops to go through ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You might want to double-check your menu on your website for spelling et al.:

Fettucine or Fettuccine?

Please pardon the pickiness. Mind you, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. No pressure, ehh?

You got your purveyors all lined up? Are you sourcing your produce from California and/or more locally? What's been the buzz around town about your restaurant?

Please respond at your earliest convenience, as though you have nothing else to do ...

Again, wishing you well, Eliot.

Hi Russell,

Spelling is a moot point on that dish because we have taken that one off the final menu...as far as purveyors go-we have a few superstar local organic growers that we try and get as much product from as possible, but in the heat of the Arizona summer their offerings diminish. The produce company that we get the majority of our products from sources some things thru the Santa Monica Farmers Market. As for the buzz, let's see how it shakes out when we open up on Friday.

Best,

E