• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

where's good in glasgow ?

I'll be at a conference in Glasgow this Sat to Tues ,no doubt the food will be awful .

Does anyone have suggestions for decent places to eat out ? I'll probably go to Two Fat ladies (the original one- I see from the web they have 3 branches now ) and the Babbity Bowster but wouyld be grateful for other suyggestions.

gethin

Check out the Hit List on the The List website according to the type of cuisine you want to experience.

These are the best out of the hundreds reviewed this year.

I'll be at a conference in Glasgow this Sat to Tues ,no doubt the food will be awful .

Does anyone have suggestions for decent places to eat out  ? I'll probably go to Two Fat ladies (the original one- I see from the web they have 3 branches now ) and the Babbity Bowster  but wouyld be grateful for other suyggestions.

gethin

Danielle Ellis

Edinburgh Scotland

www.edinburghfoody.com

I don't think it's the same people, but when I was at Uni there years ago No.16 at the bottom end of Bryers road was my favourite restaurant in the city. Leagues better than Ramsay's transient offering.

On googling it to bring back the memories it looks like it has gone from strength to strength and gained a Bib (and now lost).

http://www.number16.co.uk/index.html

I suppose everyone has a place where they first got into good food, this was mine. And it was cheaper than a Domino's! Ah sweet studentdom!

Edited by adey73 (log)

The Abode hotel has a fairly reasonable hotel - the exec chef is Michael Caines, so you would hope it would be of a reasonable standard. I have also been to the Brian Maule at Chardon D`Or. A couple of outstanding dishes but the rest were very average, but still above the typical standard I have had in Glasgow. He was (according to his website) head chef at le Gavroche in the past. I met him whilst we were there and he is a lovely guy, but I fear his creativity is being hindered by having to provide what the local market will sustain. The red onion is a good option for brasserie style food.

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

I was there at the weekend, only managed to go to Koh i noor, excellent place, and you can stuff your face on buffet if need be.

Seriously considering living there in the future, great city.

• 2 weeks later...
I have also been to the Brian Maule at Chardon D`Or... He was (according to his website) head chef at le Gavroche in the past.

He was: about a year or so ago Maitre d' Silvano at Le Gavroche recommended Chardon d'Or to me, commenting at the same time that it was run by Maule who worked at Gavroche.

Cheers, Howard