• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodie and wine suggestions for a week in S Beach

chrishow

Hi,

We are two self confessed foodies and wine lovers and going to be in Miami Beach from the 15th – 22nd July and looking for food and wine related suggestions for our trip?

I’m ideally looking for restaurant suggestions, perhaps one ‘fine dining’ experience (with modern influence, not too old or stuffy), then some Japanese\Asian restaurant suggestions and some general ‘must visit’ places. We are a couple in our early 30’s and budget shouldn’t be a problem. We will be staying at either Tides or Gansevoort but will travel all over to dine, so there is no need to suggest local restaurants. We’re also up for suggestions which maybe outside of Miami, if they are worth the drive.

I’d also like any suggestions of farmers markets (we are there Sat – Tue) which we could visit, also any fine food delis and any other food related experiences.

Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Chris

It's been far too long since I've been to Miami, but when I do get back a stop near what's left pf Calle Ocho for a Cubano sandwich will be high on my list of things to do.

When I was last there, I had a wonderful meal at the Blue Door in the Delano Hotel, and an elegant cocktail in the bar beforehand. If you're like me and like to have one night to trot out the fine linen clothing and expensive cologne, and feel the sea breeze blowing as you sample what one of the fabled Troisgros clan is throwing down, it's probably worth your time to hunt down some recent reviews.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Two places which are on any "foodie's" radar will be Michy's and Michael's Genuine...neither of which are on the beach.

I also had a great meal (actually within the last 3 months) at Sardinia.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a bit too long since I've been to SoBe -- and I am hoping my favorites are still around, LOL.

First, although it's not SoBe, for fine dining, I always -- always -- enjoy The Forge.

As far as others, A Fish Called Avalon, always ranked high on my list as well. I also always enjoyed The Capital Grille (downtown Miami).

Enjoy!

Eric

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

I will be in South Beach for a long weekend in October. I've got reservations at Michy, Prime 112, Sardinia, and Vix. Are there any other spots that I must hit or (off of this list) should not hit?

Thanks very much for your help!

EM

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Hi All,

I will be in South Beach for a long weekend in October. I've got reservations at Michy, Prime 112, Sardinia, and Vix. Are there any other spots that I must hit or (off of this list) should not hit?

Thanks very much for your help!

EM

I have not been to Vix in some time but felt underwhelmed and overcharged when I tried it. Pretty place, though, and I'd go to have a drink. Prime 112 is also not my kind of place and I haven't been, though it has its fans. I'm a big fan of both Michy's and Sardinia. My other favorite on South Beach would be Talula, and for an interesting and less spendy meal, Indomania (Dutch-Indonesian). For an old-school classic, Joe's Stone Crab is an institution which still has very good food, and opens for the season on Oct. 10.

You should know that Michy's is not on South Beach, rather it's on the mainland and about 50 blocks north (about a 15 minute drive or taxi ride). If you're venturing out of South Beach - and for the best food in town, you should - Michael's Genuine Food & Drink is a don't miss, and Pacific Time is also doing very nice stuff these days. Both are in the Design District which is again back on the mainland, across the Julia Tuttle Causeway (slightly closer than Michy's).

For a really interesting experience, though a bit out of your way, the restaurant at the Trump Hotel in Sunny Isles (about 10 miles north of South Beach) is doing a reservations-only, communal-seating tasting menu dinner on Thursday nights which showcases some more experimental cooking techniques. I shared some extensive comments on their opening night here ->

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=118484

More links and info:

http://www.talulaonline.com

http://www.indomaniarestaurant.com

http://www.joesstonecrab.com

http://www.michaelsgenuine.com

Pacific Time - 35 NE 40th St. Miami FL 305-722-7369

Paradigm - 18001 Collins Ave. Sunny Isles FL; for reservations - Steven Rauscher 305.692.5645 srauscher@trumpmiami.com

After a bit more research, here is what I've decided on. And I should have said that leaving South Beach for dinner is no problem at all:

Thursday: Michy's

Friday: Michael's Genuine Food & Drink

Saturday: Talula, Vix or Prime 112. They all look interesting and I'd love to hear other people's opinions of these spots.

And somewhere in between all of this I'd love to hit up Icebox Cafe for Brunch or Lunch.

I was thinking that for drinks we have to see the Delano and maybe Aftergio. Any other drinks spots on South Beach we should hit.

And while I'm asking locals, between the Ritz, the Sagamore and the Delano, which one would be a great hotel and not tear (or debt!) inducing!

thanks so much!

EM

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

I was thinking that for drinks we have to see the Delano and maybe Aftergio. Any other drinks spots on South Beach we should hit.

You can drink pretty much anywhere. Just don't expect to get an expertly crafted cocktail.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?