• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Din Tai Fung in Sydney

The dumpling Asian chain recently opened at World Square so just wondering, has anyone been yet? And what are some recommendations?

I've had my eye on it for since its opening but haven't got the chance to go yet, and I also hear the queues are SUPER long.

The dumplings are also a fair bit pricier than the norm so I really wonder if it's worth it!

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

The dumpling Asian chain recently opened at World Square so just wondering, has anyone been yet? And what are some recommendations?

I've had my eye on it for since its opening but haven't got the chance to go yet, and I also hear the queues are SUPER long.

The dumplings are also a fair bit pricier than the norm so I really wonder if it's worth it!

I went there recently. (http://blog.lemonpi.net/?p=1661) We had an early dinner (6pm) and were pretty much one of the first people in, so no queueing, thank goodness! I haven't had many soup dumplings before, so didn't have a point of reference, but I enjoyed the meal. Have been reading a lot of criticism about the prices though!

• 3 months later...

So I went to DTF last week for a surprise bday lunch and I have to confess...I think it's all hype. I find the dumplings in Ashfield much more juicy and flavoursome (gingery, sweet broth mmm). Another gripe -the servings were TINYYY! :(

Not bad but nowhere near as good as it's hyped up to be.

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't had many soup dumplings before, so didn't have a point of reference, but I enjoyed the meal.

One thing that you'll appreciate after you eat more soup dumplings is how thin and perfect the dumpling skins are at Din Tai Fung are. After DTF, you'll notice how much thicker the dumpling skins are at other establishments to ensure that their dumplings won't break apart.

I haven't had many soup dumplings before, so didn't have a point of reference, but I enjoyed the meal.

One thing that you'll appreciate after you eat more soup dumplings is how thin and perfect the dumpling skins are at Din Tai Fung are. After DTF, you'll notice how much thicker the dumpling skins are at other establishments to ensure that their dumplings won't break apart.

The dumplings skins are indeed a beautiful thing but I must disagree with them not breaking as it happened to me :(

It's just a pity that the filling at DTF aren't all that spectacular otherwise they would have truly had THE best dumplings.

• 2 weeks later...

The dumplings skins are indeed a beautiful thing but I must disagree with them not breaking as it happened to me :(

It's just a pity that the filling at DTF aren't all that spectacular otherwise they would have truly had THE best dumplings.

I agree, I found the soup in the XLB at the Sydney DTF very watery and flavourless indeed. And expensive!!

Shanghai Night or Taste of Shanghai in Ashfield are the way to go.

• 1 month later...

I've eaten at the LA one a number of times, and never had that issue.

Perhaps, you ate there while they were still new and hadn't ironed out all their kinks? It takes skill to make those dumpling skins, and they need to train those workers to make those unique skins.

Restaurant reviewers usually give a new opening a chance to get their bearings first before they review them.