• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red Cabbage Gaspacho

Hello again,

We first served this dish about two and a half years ago.

It stemmed when trying to make pate des fruits, the classical fruit jellies traditionally served in gastronomic restaurants.

We had allready made a carrot one and the beetroot one that we still serve today.

I decided to try a red cabbage one but once the juice was boiled down, it was quite unpleasant.

Tasting the juice of red cabbage however, I thought that this could form the basisi of a dish...this was about three and a half years ago.

I then learnt that the thing that gave red cabbage its peppered effect was mustard oil. We had been doing a lot of work on ice creams at the time and in particular, savoury ones.

Mustard ice cream is not new. Marc Meneau used to make one as did Alain Passard but the oldest recipe that I found was from an English woman.

Mrs Marshall was the first person to make an edible ice cream cone and she made ice cream with liquid nitrogen-in 1875!

So this dish was born. Th egaspacho was thickened with a mayo with a good dosage of mustard in it as well

Heston Blumenthal

The Fat Duck

The Fat Duck website