• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Shellfish Directlly From the Source

docsconz

Can anyone provide any contact information for producers of shellfish and crustaceans that sell direct to consumers? I am particularly interested at this time in clams and mussels (farm-raised are actually preferred in this case), but would also have an interest down the line in oysters, lobsters, crabs and scallops.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

What happened to Browne Trading? Even if some red tide affects local growers they will get product elsewhere.

They are now selling razor clams FYI.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

What happened to Browne Trading? Even if some red tide affects local growers they will get product elsewhere.

They are now selling razor clams FYI.

Funny that you mention, Browne Trading, They have always been my go to source, and I was just looking at their website. They do a great job, but I would be interested though in getting directly to the producer if possible.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm assuming you don't mean guys or gals in boats on docks.

Actually, I do if they will ship directly.

Twitter - @docsconz

Penn Cove

they have fantastic mussels ..I am not sure how the Farm2market works (it seems to me it is just a shipping company not a "middle man" ? but that is how they do their shipping and the link is at the bottom of the page

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I'm assuming you don't mean guys or gals in boats on docks.

Actually, I do if they will ship directly.

Sorry -- I meant that you won't meet 'em on the docks themselves. That's what we do over here a little closer to the Atlantic.

As a result, I've got no good sources for which I can vouch, but I'll ask around.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Much if not all of the high grade seafood is caught/farmed by individuals that for various reasons do not want to directly deal with the consumer. In fact, the perveyors such as Browne frequently take all the supplier can deliver and they are the only source for much high grade seafood.

So other than frequenting the docks, sources such as Browne(I really don't know of another source as good as Browne) provide a needed service by interfacing between the harvester and the consumer.-Dick

Here in Seattle we do buy directly from the farm via the farmer's market, and it looks like the vendor, Taylor Shellfish, ships across the US. Though it seems like you could find someone closer to home (the idea of clams and mussels shipped across country icks me out a bit).

Taylor Shellfish Farm

I second the recommendation for Penn Cove mussels--they are better than any other mussel I've had on the East Coast or in Europe-but again, I'm not sure how they fare in shipping.

This is developing into a nice resource with some interesting options. Thanks and please don't be shy about adding more. I would love a good source for fresh, live Chesapeake Bay blue crabs.

Of course, it is worth noting that even though some of these sources appear to be direct, none are inexpensive. I guess that is the nature of the beast given the market for seafood as well as energy. Sobering.

Twitter - @docsconz

My friends and I are counting the days until it's sea urchin season again and The Fresh Lobster Company can ship us another few dozen. In the mean time, they offer an excellent variety of shellfish -- their Wellfleets are not to be messed with -- and, based on my few dealings with them, they appear to buy straight off the docks in Gloucester, Mass; we once had an order canceled because the boats couldn't go out on the appointed day.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Docsonz,

If you’re interested in Chesapeake Bay oysters, Rappahannock River Oysters company is a good source. I’m not affiliated with them in any way, but a couple of years ago, as a reporter, I wrote a piece about the company for Chow.com:

http://www.chow.com/stories/10143

Here’s the Rappahannock River Oysters website:

http://www.rroysters.com/

Note they don’t ship oysters in July and August because of the higher water temperature, but they’ll resume in September.

I'm going to leech onto this thread and add another twist to the question...

Does anybody know of similar sources in Canada?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

http://www.pikeplacefish.com/shellfish.html

I love Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle. I live in Kansas, so it's hard to get any fresh seafood around here. Pike Place overnights your order and I've never ever had a problem. It's all packed in ice packs in a neat Styrofoam cooler. I've had their fresh oysters, mussels, clams--including the razor clams. I also love their tuna, salmon and monk fish.

This is developing into a nice resource with some interesting options. Thanks and please don't be shy about adding more. I would love a good source for fresh, live Chesapeake Bay blue crabs.

Of course, it is worth noting that even though some of these sources appear to be direct, none are inexpensive. I guess that is the nature of the beast given the market for seafood as well as energy. Sobering.

I agree they are out of this world expensive!!! I usually pay less than $3/lb for Penn Cove mussels!!!

wow shipping must be the killer...

locally fish and seafood are expensive as well but these most wonderful mussels are really cheap here..you can even buy them at Costco!

someone told me they found them in a Costco in Santa Fe and they were awesome ..I think the way they ship I would not fear eating or ordering them (even though I prefer local stuff) as long as your shell fish is alive and intact they should be fine ..

I have flown with Penn Cove mussels to Florida so my mother could taste them (she is a bonifide mussel freak and adored them as well) ..just in a cooler on ice connections were slow and it took all day ..they were fine ..so although I have not ordered them I would not fear it as long as they are overnight and packed well ...shipping companies have it down to an art!

it is just the cost!!!!

:shock:

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet