• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Recipes Made Easy

sadie4232

In most issues of Food and Wine magazine, they have a section called "Chef Recipes Made Easy." Simplified versions of recipes by Todd English, Thomas Keller, Nobu Matsuhisa (to name just a few) are included. Does a cookbook exist with a similar compilation -- scaled back recipes by great chefs?

The Wright Table

Becoming a better home cook, one meal at a time.

I've never come across a cookbook like that. You could check out Everyday Greens by Annie Somerville and The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters. Both books present professional food that has been simplified for the home cook.

ETA: Wait! Julia Child did a cookbook, In Julia's Kitchen With Master Chefs. You might find it in your public library too. http://www.amazon.com/Julias-Kitchen-Maste...14884702&sr=8-1

Edited by djyee100 (log)

I was just at Amazon, and they have Ducasse Made Simple by Alain Ducasse. And Vongeritchen has 'Simple to Spectacular', where he offers different versions of recipes, so you can take the concept and go as complex as you want with it. FYI, I do not own either of these books.

Fran McCullough & Molly Stevens have the Best American Recipes series that contain not just chef recipes but culled from all different sources. (But many are from chefs and their cookbooks.) The recipes are tested for and intended for the home kitchen and there are some comments and helpful tips from the McCullough and Stevens. The book I have is "The 150 Best American RECIPES", there is an eGullet thread already on this cookbook.

Flip to any page... the recipes just look very doable...

Topic: The 150 Best American RECIPES

jayne

The Duby's Wild Sweets: Chocolate, which is not all sweets, it has 3 sections (fish, shellfish and meat) on the savory side, has an e-version ("e" meaning easier) of every recipe. I usually look more for the "chef's recipes the way the chef actually does it" type personally but having the easier, more casual version along with the original is a kinda cool idea.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

You may want to check out:

Chef, Interrupted: Delicious Chefs' Recipes That You Can Actually Make at Home

by Melissa Clark.

As I recall, she has recipes by a number of well known chefs including Daniel Boulud that she simplifies. :rolleyes: