• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Benares or Tamarind?

anyone visited any of those two recently? I have not tried any of the "nouvelle indian" food and would be interested to try.

Thanks!

I like Benares food, but probably prefer Tamarind's interior. Not sure either are anything like as good as they think they are though, at least not as good as they used to be.

S

I agree.

For about a sixth of the price, you can go to Cafe Zia on Wandsworth Rd, which I think provides a similar quality uplift over a standard curry house. That's probably not the point though...

I prefer Chutney Mary to the other high end Indian places.

Personally I like both, although my preferance is probably towards Benares. I had a fantastic meal there a couple of weeks ago - Atul's use of spices really is second to none. He is to Indian food what Nobu is to Japanese food IMHO.

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Bernares currently holds the title for "least edible thing I've ever been served, by design rather than by mistake, in a restaurant" (a baked gourd thing that may well have been vinegar-soaked lugworms drowned in Pritt-Stick soup).

If you're keen, then go for lunch. It might still be rubbish, but at least it's cheaper.

I went to Benares recently.

I love the look of the place, and some of the food was good (well OK the chutneys were delicious), but overall it was a disappointment.

My starter (deep fried soft shell crab) was tasteless though well cooked and lovely and crispy. My main was lamb on a bean stew - the (nice) lamb itself was unspiced, so too much of a contrast with the beans, but they were nothing special - I could cook them at home, and in fact it didn't taste like the spices had all been fried enough - maybe it's the classic Indian way of cooking when the masala is added right at the end - or maybe not. The 'special' puddings were beautiful to look at, but very dull and bland and not in the least Indian - cheescake, sorbet (very tasteless) and brownie. I'd been hoping for a kulfi! The staff were charming mind - more than usual in central London restaurants.

Bernares currently holds the title for "least edible thing I've ever been served, by design rather than by mistake, in a restaurant" (a baked gourd thing that may well have been vinegar-soaked lugworms drowned in Pritt-Stick soup).

If you're keen, then go for lunch. It might still be rubbish, but at least it's cheaper.

artickoke creme brulee with candied vegetables at grand vefour

• 11 months later...

I really enjoyed a recent visit to Benares, had the 'grazing menu' and wine pairings. The food whether authentic or not, was very good indeed, and all the wines matched perfectly, especially with some complex spicing going on. Really good atmosphere in the restaurant and service was friendly and jovial.