• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unknown Dishes in Turin - Recipes?

I just got back from Turin Italy. Was there on business (another job), but we had a dinner one night at a pretty good restaurant called Tre Galli. We had a 6 course tasting menu. Great food, we were stuffed and closed the place after Midnight. We had people from Italy, France, Portugal and the US. You should have heard the translations going around the table all night.

I have been able to find recipes online for everything we had except two things that I didn't get the name of.

One looked like a Greek Dolmades, but was an Italian version with a Garlic Sausage filling, no rice or anything else. The other was some type of spiced fruit that was served with Bollito Mista, Boiled Meats and Vegetables.

Does anyone have a clue what they are called and know where to find a recipe for them.

Thanks,

Angela

The spiced fruit mixture was most likely a mostarda, which is a sweet and sour condiment made from any of various fruits, and is the traditional accompaniment to boiled meats (usually seen in Emilia-Romagna).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The spiced fruit mixture was most likely a mostarda, which is a sweet and sour condiment made from any of various fruits, and is the traditional accompaniment to boiled meats (usually seen in Emilia-Romagna).

Thanks, this makes sense now. I thought someone at the other end of the table said something about Mustard. I just looked it up on Wikipedia. This is what we had. Thanks Again.

I also just found I can purchase this through amazon.com (igourmet.com).

Sperlari Mostarda di Frutta $10.99

http://www.amazon.com/Sperlari-Mostarda-di...14880159&sr=8-1

Edited by amdellutri (log)

One looked like a Greek Dolmades, but was an Italian version with a Garlic Sausage filling, no rice or anything else. The other was some type of spiced fruit that was served with Bollito Mista, Boiled Meats and Vegetables.

Does anyone have a clue what they are called and know where to find a recipe for them.

Thanks,

Angela

You got the mostarda. The other doesn’t ring any bells, but I doubt it was wrapped in a vine leaf. Was it a cabbage leaf? Savoy cabbage? chard? The generic term for things that are rolled up and wrapped is involtino, and involtini di verza (stuffed cabbage) is a definite maybe for you.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

It wasn't chard.  I would have noticed the red stem.  Maybe a Savoy Cabbage.  I bought some Cotechino.  I can play with Savoy Cabbage and see if this was it.

Thanks for the information.

Angela

What red stem? I've never seen chard with a red stem in Italy. Savoy cabbage is unmistakeable. The leaves are light green and very crinkly even when cooked.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com