• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Working in Italy

AnxiousCowboy

I'm getting to the tail end of my education at CIA and I am looking to go to Italy to learn more. It has been a dream of mine to work in Italy and is part of my 5 year plan. Has anyone worked in Italy before? How did you get started working in a new country as far as finding work...

Ciao!

I came to Italy over 25 years ago, but times have changed!

I would try connecting with someone in the states to get your sponsered, find the first kitchen that will take you.

Many take students for 6 months at a time, but you will be peeling carrots often!

are you in NY?

There is a nice school here in Jesi that does a fabulous 3 month program and then gets you an apprenticeship!

probably the best investment.

Ciao!

I came to Italy over 25 years ago, but times have changed!

I would try connecting with someone in the states to get your sponsered, find the first kitchen that will take you.

Many take students for 6 months at a time, but you will be peeling carrots often!

are you in NY?

There is a nice school here in Jesi that does a fabulous 3 month program and then gets you an apprenticeship!

probably the best investment.

Are you talking about the Slow food school? I would love to go to that but I am just coming out of CIA ( I am still in NY ) and that would be impossible to do since I have to start paying back loans :-\

I have a friend who externed in a spot in Umbria. He worked 100 hours a week, only got free housing and family meal, no pay. Is this expected and typical in Italy? I don't mind working working long hours, i prefer it, but I would rather get paid enough to afford a shitty apartment and buy my own food... I feel that would be an important part of my Italy experience since I want to adapt their culture as well...

Edited by AnxiousCowboy (log)

yes I was talking about the slow food school in Jesi.

too bad!

I would say do not plan on getting paid.

Do you speak Italian?

and if you are working in a restaurant 100 hours a week, you have no time for life.... or really experiencing the culture!

The reality of it all is not the dream!

I have a friend with an organic farm that takes apprentices in Chianti.

she is Canadian so english is ok!

that would be a possibility

yes I was talking about the slow food school in Jesi.

too bad!

I would say do not plan on getting paid.

Do you speak Italian?

and if you are working in a restaurant 100 hours a week, you have no time for life.... or really experiencing the culture!

The reality of it all is not the dream!

I have a friend with an organic farm that takes apprentices in Chianti.

she is Canadian so english is ok!

that would be a possibility

I am learning Italian. What do the apprentices do? Is it just a farm or a restaurant also?

it is a guest house with working farm and dinners that rate right up there with michelin star experiences! Plus she does cooking schools and foraging classes, raises pigs and makes her own prosciutto etc!

it is a guest house with working farm and dinners that rate right up there with michelin star experiences! Plus she does cooking schools and foraging classes, raises pigs and makes her own prosciutto etc!

wow, that sounds like it would be a great experience. Does she have an email address which I can reach her at?

Hey -

Shoot me a PM and I can try to help you out...

When do you plan on doing this? What kind of a budget are you resting on? Don't plan on getting paid, cuz there's a 99% chance that you wont.

You will work hard, you may pick up some Japanese verbage from the kitchens, and you WILL have an amazing experience.

Ore