• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Los Angeles for grrrrrrrrrr-tourists!

Bernaise

Hello everyone!

My niece was recently diagnosed with a degenerative nerve disease-she is 18. Anyway we are trying to do some fun stuff with her while she is able. I know she wants to go to the Getty museum in LA. Also she would love to witness a taping of Ellen DeGeneres.

So here's the request:

A reasonable safe and modestly priced hotel-close to "famous" shopping I think she wants the Kitson boutique??

We are three adult women ages 45-60

and three young women ages 18-26

Also we are thinking Persian food...but we are adventurous eaters who would gladly snaffle back fish tacos and chicken & waffles. House of Pies perhaps, in and out burger!! hahahahaha

I really am having trouble understanding "safe" 'hoods in LA (ok aside from SC LA).

We arrive the 23 and leave on the 29

any help tips advice greatly appreciated.

ps: she can still walk and see but can no longer hear

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

there is a new kitson scheduled to open this month at the new americana shopping center on brand blvd in glendale. glendale has tons of good persian places--carousel and mandaloun come to mind. also on brand in glendale is one of my current favorite restaurants, palate it is octavio becerra's new place--he was with joachim splichal's patina group for years, and this place is bomb!

have fun!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

The Magic Castle Hotel is on that hotel list. I'm thinking if your niece cannot hear, she might particularly enjoy taking in the sleight of hand performances in the close up room at the Magic Castle, a private club which is open to guests of the hotel. It requires such visual concentration to spot the trick... if you are even able... that it would be a good use of her senses.

Just down the hill from there, try a Beard Papa cream puff at the Hollywood & Highland mall. This is a Japanese dessert chain, and I think the fresh baked unsweetened paste and lightly sweet vanilla custard with whipped cream is really a lovely treat.

There actually IS a chicken and waffle joint not far away, Roscoe's at 1448 N Gower Street, just north of Sunset.

And you would be close to Thai Town (Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards, east of Western Avenue) where there are many adventurous meals to be enjoyed.

http://www.esotouric.com

Upcoming Esotouric bus adventures in Los Angeles include Pasadena Confidential, Route 66, Bukowki, Black Dahlia, Tom Waits, Raymond Chandler & more. eGullet members receive 15% off on any regular $58 tour when they supply their user name and say "MFK sent me!" Contact tours@esotouric.com to reserve.

wow! chez cherie and kim cooper! ooooh esotouric tours also sound great! hmmm perhaps when the girlies are shopping!

Hello Bernaise!

As far as shopping goes, I may not be too much of a help since I am a low maintenance, beach dwelling male, but I will give it a go. Melrose is always interesting and is close to the Beverly Center, Beverly Hills and Hollywood. The 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica is also a nice place to walk, shop and eat as well. Thats about all I have on that subject :unsure:

As far as food goes, there are quite a few good spots to eat. For Persian food, Shekarchi is quite good and is located in Downtown LA near Chinatown, Phillipes French Dip (good food), and Olvera Street (great taquitos there). I don't know how often you and your group has been to LA or whether or not you are interested in trying the typical LA haunts like Langer's, The Hat, El Tepeyac, El Indio, etc, etc. Let me know and I can elaborate.

@ Kim Cooper - I just got an email about the Downtown Art walks and saw that you and Esotouric are offering your services to help out, so hopefully I can say hello one of these days! :biggrin: The Bukowski tour sounds interesting as well!

Well hello VG!

thanks for the shopping tips-myself i would rather walk, people watch and visit the beach-but man

y thanks for the tips. do tell me more about la haunts please!! oh and, we've never been before. my one niece lives in camarillo she "writes game software" i think- but as with many geeks she doesn't get about much.

oh and i am obsessed with bourbon-any good places to buy also welcome.

Hello Bernaise! 

As far as shopping goes, I may not be too much of a help since I am a low maintenance, beach dwelling male, but I will give it a go.  Melrose is always interesting and is close to the Beverly Center, Beverly Hills and Hollywood.  The 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica is also a nice place to walk, shop and eat as well.  Thats about all I have on that subject  :unsure:

As far as food goes, there are quite a few good spots to eat.  For Persian food, Shekarchi is quite good and is located in Downtown LA near Chinatown, Phillipes French Dip (good food), and Olvera Street (great taquitos there).  I don't know how often you and your group has been to LA or whether or not you are interested in trying the typical LA haunts like Langer's, The Hat, El Tepeyac, El Indio, etc, etc.  Let me know and I can elaborate.

@ Kim Cooper - I just got an email about the Downtown Art walks and saw that you and Esotouric are offering your services to help out, so hopefully I can say hello one of these days!  :biggrin:  The Bukowski tour sounds interesting as well!

Edited by Bernaise (log)

Bourbon?! Now were talkin! :biggrin: I don't really know of any special places to buy liquor other than some normal places. Costco usually has good prices, as well BevMo and the Beverage Warehouse in Marina del Rey.

I don't really know what may or may not interest you, so I will try and cover as much as I can without being too long winded.

Phillipes is a good place to go because of its location and history. They have been serving french dip sandwiches and other items since 1908. Try the hot mustard and chili too. Phillipes is located about a block away from Grand Central Station which may interest you or your party as well. Also right around the corner is Olvera Street which I believe was the first street in LA, formed in the late 1800s. It is no longer a street but a Mexican cultural area with some shops and good, cheap food (try the aforementioned taquitos with the green, guacomole-esque sauce). Chinatown is also about a block away and features some nice things to see. Some links: Phillipes Olvera Street

There is also Tommy's Chili Burgers on Beverly and Rampart. Bring some Tum's with you if you decide to go though :laugh:Tommy's

Langer's Deli is located at 7th and Alvarado and has some really good pastrami sandwiches. They have been around forever Langer's

El Tepeyac is a long time burrito staple of LA. Its rather far away from everything else though and the 'hood isn't the greatest, but it isn't bad. Go during the dayEl Tepeyac

El Cholo has some great Mexican food also and when they are in season, May through October, the green corn tamales are fantastic. El Cholo

The Farmer's Market on 3rd and Fairfax has been around since 1934 and has some great food. It is also near Beverly Hills, Melrose, etc Farmer's Market

I have never had any sort of problem in any of these neighboorhoods but they can have the appearance of being unsafe. Tommy's, Phillipes and Langer's would be better visited during the day if you are worried about it. All three areas are heavily populated and busy during the day so you shouldn't have any problems.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. I will let you know if I think of anything else and I hope this helps. Most of the places I listed, short of Farmer's Market and perhaps El Cholo, may be takinig you a little farther away from the shopping than you may have wanted to go but I thought I would list them anyway so you could look into it.

The Farmer's Market on 3rd and Fairfax has been around since 1934 and has some great food. It is also near Beverly Hills, Melrose, etc Farmer's Market.

Added bonus--it is adjacent to the Grove, which offers mega-shopping for your niece.

Edited by chezcherie (log)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

The Sofitel is near the Kitson stores on Robertson Blvd. There is the "main" one, then a kids store and most recently, a men's store all within a two block stretch (between Beverly Blvd. and 3rd Street) The Sofitel is really nice and priced like it.

One place I really like a lot right off of Robertson, right by Cedars, is Chaya. I've had many nice lunches there. Another place in the area I have had good luck with is Barefoot. It's on 3rd street, just east of Robertson. I have more suggestions for that area if you neeed them. Robertson Blvd. is the hot and trendy place to shop these days. There is more than just Kitson there. Watch out for the Paparazzi. :)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

so much good info so little time!

Here's the Itinerary so far:

Thursday, Camarillo-let the girls play the new 'game' the women folk head off to some outlet centre(not sure why) please read my final sentence.

Friday-the Getty Centre and I'm thinking lunch there looks too beautiful (maybe a persian dinner)

Saturday breakfast -Esotouric tour of Pasadena! Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles (my dream)

Sunday Melrose, Robertson Blvd., farmer's market + el cholo tamales, beard papa, ativan!

Monday-tylenol and a stretcher!

I've already ordered 4 pairs of shoes, lots of linen clothes and SIX bottles of bourbon to be delivered to my niece in Camarillo!

• 2 weeks later...

Bernaise, we are so pleased you will be joining us on the Esotouric bus on Saturday!

Here are a few Pasadena suggestions for before or after the tour.

Pie 'n Burger is a much-loved lunch counter specializing in just what you would expect. I've never had their burgers, but the pie is really exceptional. Or if you prefer something a little more sophisticated, the egg salad sandwiches and chocolate tarts at Europane are scrumptious. And for shopping, a stroll through Old Town Pasadena (Colorado Boulevard around Fair Oaks) should scratch the itch. They have an H&M and a Lush store, plus most of the nicer chain fashion and home stores.

http://www.esotouric.com

Upcoming Esotouric bus adventures in Los Angeles include Pasadena Confidential, Route 66, Bukowki, Black Dahlia, Tom Waits, Raymond Chandler & more. eGullet members receive 15% off on any regular $58 tour when they supply their user name and say "MFK sent me!" Contact tours@esotouric.com to reserve.

Don't know, Bernaise, if your gang are into vintage or thrift store shopping, but I was just with a group of 17-19 year olds and we had a BLAST shopping at Buffalo Exchange and this outrageous vintage store called JetRag. Both on La Brea, north of Campanile and La Brea Bakery. Around the corner (was it on Beverly?) from Buffalo Exchange is Susina where we stopped for coffee and a treat in the middle of our shopping marathon. Quite tasty.

Just trying to cover all bases of the shopping experience!

Have a blast!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl