• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montesquieu

Daniel

I am sitting at my desk when I am told that Christine from Montesquieu Wines is on the phone..I dont take a lot of calls but, for a wine person, I am down.. She has said that she got my name from a visit I must have done to a recent Vineyard out in Nappa.. Which is pretty shady that they are selling my name..

So her first question was"What kind of wine do you drink"

My first question was "Who are you and what is Montesquieu".. Seems like they are importers who have the same philsophy as Rosenthal. Small batch places from around the world.. They are based in Bordeaux..

The whole thing seemed really telemarketerish.. I am a saleman and I know when someone is bringing the hard sell.. I got of the phone with this chick and dont want her calling me back..

Anyone ever had this experience..

Not with the company that called you, but with others. I don't buy wine (or anything) over the phone unless I'm the one placing the call.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I get a call from "Meg" at Montesquieu monthly and buy her offerings about half the time, for the past five or so years. They handle, if I'm correct, consignment lots. I'd say that my experience is that over half are excellent for the price paid and prices range from the thirties into the forties. My only gripe is when I receive a terrific wine they never have any more to sell.