• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef

Ted Fairhead

I purchased this cut of beef recently. At the risk of sounding dumb, I have never seen such a cut before. Its about 12 inches long and only about 2- 3 inches in diameter. It says on the cryovacked package that it is a beef filet packed in oven roasted "au jus".

gallery_50527_4885_47513.jpg

Obviously plain roasting would dry it out in no time. Any suggestions on preparation?

Looks like a whole fillet to me.

Diameter of the fillet will depend upon the breed of the beef. Most fillets here in France are certainly no more than 3 inches in diameter.

Looks like a whole fillet to me.

Diameter of the fillet will depend upon the breed of the beef. Most fillets here in France are certainly no more than 3 inches in diameter.

Then get me to that store because if you look at the tag the whole thing is $8.87. Rare is the tenderloin at 1.36 a lb.

I vote eye of round as well.

**Edited to correct price.

Edited by jefferyc (log)

you could drop the whole package in a roasting pan of water in a low oven....Sous Vide more or less.... :hmmm:

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

It's an eye of round roast. You'll never see a whole tenderloin that only weighs 1.3lbs, let alone at that price. That's a common size for an eye round.

It's common to see any cut of beef with a shape like a whole tenderloin being referred to as a filet. You'll see "butcher's filet" and even some people call hanger steaks "hanging filets".

It's a great way to market a cheap cut as more than it really is.

My only comment is that it might be salty. I'm guessing it's been injected with salt solution, from that "with oven roasted au jus seasoning."

(Rant: Why is it so hard to find non-injected pork? Now they're doing it to beef, too?!?)

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

I think I have my answer. When I opened the package there were two small tapered pieces of beef, and I suspect that they were the tail ends of filets that couldn't be sold except maybe chopped up as stew meat. The instructions on the back said to grill, turning every 4 minutes until they reached 160F....I did grill them but only to 130F. The so-called "oven roasted au jus" was extremely strong almost to the point of being bitter, but when I trimmed the outside the meat was passable, but this was not a purchase to be repeated

gallery_50527_4885_42504.jpg

gallery_50527_4885_52345.jpg

Hi,

There is a possibility that this is a piece of cow (yes, dairy cow) tenderloin.

Smithfield is based in Green Bay WI but they have not processed this product. They have other companies which may be responsible. Their customer service group can identify where it was processed if you call them with the extablishment number which is on the package.

You may call 800 753-7724 and ask for extension 5512. They will provide the 800 number for the subsidiary that produced the beef.

This will be fun.

Tim

What you purchased is a commercial grade beef that was both tenderized by punctureing and by chemicals. These preperations show up in chain restaurants and as low cost prepared meals in some grocery stores.

I feed my dog better than that.-Dick

What you purchased is a commercial grade beef that was both tenderized by punctureing and by chemicals. These preperations show up in chain restaurants and as low cost prepared meals in some grocery stores.

I feed my dog better than that.-Dick

I never buy anything already seasoned in a package. There are just too many chemicals in the food supply to trust any of it.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

YepI have seen this it is the tail of the filet. Sous vide is that whay I saw -- come on you crazy people - sous vide - c'mon get real - I would have grilled it too. The tail actually has some good bias cuts like the pis above - sous vide - you guys kill me!

If you feed you dog better than that you are nuts and just one of the many people that have no idea about food - especially meat - in the food world!

Edited by Jakea222 (log)

sous vide that??? you gotta be kidding! cheap beef coated in salty chemically marinade??? if i knew what was in it then thats one thing but this "filet" is not worth it!!

Ireee - you are a woman after my heat - sous vide = come on guys grill the hell out of it