• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shopping in Metairie

taryn

I will be spending a month in LA, cooking for a client who is staying there. We'll be staying in Metairie. I haven't done much research about the area, up until today I knew I'd be in/around New Orleans but didn't know exactly where.

Any recommendations? I know there's a Whole Foods. My client prefers organic/local etc. I also tend to cook a lot of Asian (mainly Japanese) food. Here in Vancouver, it's not a problem with ingredients. I think I read something in this forum about people buying pork belly in Asian markets. Can anyone recommend any Asian markets that are close to where I'll be? I'll have a car but prefer to stay close due to time restraints.

Are there any farmers markets? I'm leaving in less than a week!

Thanks for your help!

Edited by taryn (log)

Asian:

There is a place called Asian Gourmet Market (I think) on Williams Blvd in Kenner. I've been meaning to go, but everytime I try, it's too late and they're closed. It is supposed to be very good. There's also Hong Kong Market, which is a fair drive from Metairie. It's in Gretna (actually Terrytown, I think) on Martin Behrman Hwy.

Other:

The Whole Foods is pretty good, and there is also Dorignac's, which has a good wine selection. Dorignac's is also good for more Louisiana standard fare, etc.

Farmer's Market:

The Crescent City Market (Tuesdays and Saturdays in NOLA) are very good. I haven't been to the Gretna Market, but I'm told it's quite nice also.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions, or if I haven't covered something you're interested in.

The new Thursday farmers market at the American Can Apartment complex in Mid-City would be closer to Metairie. I went the first few weeks it opened, and you'd be hard pressed to find enough ingredients to make a salad. I know that they've been adding vendors, including many of the folks who work the Crescent City Farmers Market, so I suspect the offerings are better now.

You might also want to visit K-Jean's fish market in Mid-City.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Thank you! I also forgot to mention that absolutely fresh fish is very important

Absolutely fresh fish is easy to come by. Fishers and shrimpers work the farmers market and sell stuff they pulled the water the day before. One of the regular vendors at the Crescent City farmers market (and perhaps at the Mid-City market) has wonderful Black Drum and Sheepshead. Should be a good time for shrimp as well. You won't believe the quality (and price) of the shrimp you can get here.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)