• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bodega Bay/Santa Rosa/Healdsburg

SuY

Hi!

Am going to be staying in Bodega Bay for a week in July and wanted to hit any good wineries around the Healdsburg/Santa Rosa area. Any suggestions? Most that I've seen on here have been in Napa which may be a bit of a drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would suggest all of the wineries on East side road/ Old redwood highway in the heart of the Russian River Valley.

This area reminds me of the Silverado trail thirty years ago. The Russian river valley winery association web site will help with your planning.

I would suggest all of the wineries on East side road/ Old redwood highway in the heart of the Russian River Valley.

This area reminds me of the Silverado trail thirty years ago. The Russian river valley winery association web site will help with your planning.

Russian River Valley Wine Growers

I agree !

Highway 116/sebastapol area wineries, is another great choice.

I just talked to someone who just went to Lynmar Estates for "Pinot and Pizza Fridays" They loved it.

They have a large estate garden, a beautiful wood burning pizza oven, and use local artisan cheeses. Along with outstanding Pinots.

• 2 months later...

Suy,

Of the Russian River wineries, Graton Ridge and Atascadero Creek are probably the best. A lot of the RR wines are mediocre and overpriced, although not as bad as Napa.

If you're coming over from Healdsburg, you can also hit the Dry Creek wineries, which include a lot more stars: Amphora, Kokomo, David Coffaro, and Unti. Overall, you'll get better wine for less money in Dry Creek than Russian River.

Also, if you're in Healdsburg, don't miss the Downtown Bakery, which makes the best savory breads (semolina, sesame, etc.) in the Bay Area.

The only place we've eaten in Bodega Bay is the Sandpiper in the marina. It was fine for what it was ... a weekend boater tourist trap ... but not worth going out of your way for. Cheap and good location, though.

The Fuzzy Chef

www.fuzzychef.org

Think globally, eat globally

San Francisco

Long time Sebastopol resident here. I gotta tell you all that the restaurants in Bodega Bay are not meant for people who enjoy good food. They cater to tired tourists who are excited by the idea of fresh fish. Service is bad, food is (overall) mediocre and overpriced.

Make the 20 minute drive into Sebastopol and you have a number of really great options:

Starlight Wine Bar (I work here and it's great)

GTO's seafood (oaky, I work here too. Fish without the Bodega Bay lazy tude)

K&L Bistro (Michellin star)

Elmo's Steakhouse

Cafe St. Rose

Eloise

French Garden

Alice's on Main

I'm sure I'm missing something but any of these is a great meal and a good time. Check it out.

BTW maybe I'm just loyal but I disagree about Dry Creek being better and cheaper than Russian River. I think the two appellations strive for the same goals: Great wine, made with care by local people with the best grapes, great pricing, warm and comfortable experience.

BTW maybe I'm just loyal but I disagree about Dry Creek being better and cheaper than Russian River.  I think the two appellations strive for the same goals:  Great wine, made with care by local people with the best grapes, great pricing, warm and comfortable experience.

Maybe I just don't know the right wineries in Russian River. Recommendations?

The Fuzzy Chef

www.fuzzychef.org

Think globally, eat globally

San Francisco

Being such a small area I know folks at some of the best producers in town:

Hanna and especially Hanna Bismark

Iron Horse Try the Cuvee R for a very drinkable "dinner party white"

Atascadero Creek, Bob Appleby is great (look for Retronnay next year)

Graton Ridge, Barbara and Art are super nice

Halleck , Ross only makes great wine

Dutton Family and Sebastopol Vineyards, my kid goes to school with the Dutton's and their Syrah is my "dinner party red"

Lutea, Suzanne is from South Africa. Her Pinot is organic and biodynamic

Sheldon, person friends with fabulous wines. They really strive for perfection

Martin Ray

Sunce, ask for Cindy in the tasting room

Gary Farrell, I haven't been here but the dinner tourists rave about it

Hook and Ladder, this is the DeLoach family. They make a great Gewurtz.

Carol Shelton makes a really interesting Trouseau Gris

Lot's of options over here in small townville. The Russian River appellation is a place to meet winemakers and their dogs. To have conversations and enjoy truly drinkable and wonderful wines without paying a fortune to taste. Make friends with the winemakers and you'll likely get one of those Napa Valley Style $50 tours for free.

We did a Pinot Noir flight at Gary Farrell, don't miss this place! :)

i'm sorry, but i really must have missed something when i visited gary farrell. i found them to be very overpriced with a staff that was not the least bit interested in talking with us about the wine.

course, gary farrell was in between a stop at sunce (love that place, ditto what trishiad said, cindy's awesome) and porter creek, so i suppose we weren't ready for napa treatment in between sonoma treatment.

• 1 year later...

We are spending 3 nights in Santa Rosa in August. So far there looks to be some great recommendations for food and wine in the Russian River ava. Anyone have anything to say about Anderson Valley? We want to head up there for a Saturday of pinot noir and bubbly. Heard there are smaller crowds and great juice up there.

All suggestions would be appreciated.

Sante.