• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ganache questions for an expert

Chocolot

I have the opportunity to have a workshop with Callebaut's Patrick Peeters this Saturday. Are there any specific questions any of you want me to ask him?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Every top chocolatier has a different technique for making ganaches. As we experienced the whole Greweling course...tabling ganache Then we experieinced JPW and it is tempered chocolate. Then there is making ganache with temp above 35 C for both cream and chocolate. And then... My question is what does he think of these different methods and what does he personally think is the best method for making a ganache.

I have the opportunity to have a workshop with Callebaut's Patrick Peeters this Saturday.  Are there any specific questions any of you want me to ask him?

If you don't mind, I have always wondered if there is a certain water/solid/fat ratio that chocolatiers follow in order to ensure that they have a perfect emulsification. Thanks, I appreciate it.

And while on the topic, if you could find out the equivalent guidelines for a butter ganache: that would be awesome :).

If you can explain what you mean, I will try to find out.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Sorry, my bad. There's the standard ganaches with a comparatively larger amount of cream (and corresponding water content) in the recipe. And then there's the ganaches (like those outlined in the Greweling book) that have a higher ratio of butter in the recipe. The standard ganaches have approximate guidelines that should be followed for a good result, such as:

35% total fat mass

18-25% cocoa butter mass

10-17% other fat mass

+/- 20% water

But there doesn't seem to be any published equivalent on butter ganaches. My friend has my Greweling book so I can't go into any more depth but maybe someone else can chip in?