• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mesa/Gold Canyon Area

I have a friend who will be moving to this area from Philly, and although he doesn't care if he eats microwave dinners for the rest of his life, I would like to know of some good places for the numerous times I will visit. Regional cuisine would be cool, but basically anything is fair game since he won't even know where to get good pizza upon his arrival. (I'm aware of the Pizzeria Bianco place in Phoenix, but that most likely won't be an everyday trip"). Thanks!

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Is he going to live in Gold Canyon? Mesa and Gold Canyon are not next to each other. Gold Canyon, though much bigger than it was just a few short years ago, is still kinda isolated (mainly by Apache Junction, which is not known for its cuisine). I know there are some new strip malls in Gold Canyon, probably housing a pizza joint or sandwich shop (probably chains), but I'm not sure about restaurants. The Red Sage on Kings Ranch Rd. is solid for breakfast, I haven't eaten there for lunch/dinner. Gold Canyon Golf Resort has restaurants, but I have never heard anyone say they have ever eaten there. Gold Canyon is primarily a retiree population, albeit upper income.

I can vouch for the white menudo at Los Hermanos in Superior. That's about a 20 mile drive east of Gold Canyon. Very old restaurant in an old mining town. Solid Mexican food, take the fresh tortillas and Mexican fruit turnovers home.

Other than that you will need to drive into Scottsdale/Metro Phoenix if you are looking for more of a high end "foodie" experience. Or it you want Thai, Vietnamese, Italian, Indian, etc.....

I have a friend who will be moving to this area from Philly, and although he doesn't care if he eats microwave dinners for the rest of his life, I would like to know of some good places for the numerous times I will visit.  Regional cuisine would be cool, but basically anything is fair game since he won't even know where to get good pizza upon his arrival.  (I'm aware of the Pizzeria Bianco place in Phoenix, but that most likely won't be an everyday trip"). Thanks!

He hasn't bought a house yet but he will definitely be working in Mesa. When I talked to him he wouldn't shut up about Gold Canyon. He was saying how it's quiet and somewhat up in the mountains, and he loved it. He also explained that basically Scottsdale, Phoenix and Mesa are all a 25 minute drive away from each other, is that correct? If those places are within that short of a driving distance, then I'm sure we'll be fine. Before yesterday I knew less than nothing about the geography of that area but after looking at a few maps it seems like travel won't be a big deal.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson