• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All metal cocktail shaker

300rwhp

Hello,

I remember reading a few years ago likely on egullet about an alessi set of tins, and have been searching ever since. Yesterday I read the bittman thread and it reminded me of the quest for the crystal skull err i mean all metal shaker boston style. Can anyone point me to where I can find a good product for a reasonable price. Amazon preferred.

Thanks.

The large size tin is exactly what is traditionally used in a glass-and-metal Boston shaker. What you're doing is replacing the glass part with a cheater tin. I'm not sure if 15 ounces would be big enough. I prefer the 18 ounce ones.

--

i have a 16oz "cheater" tin and it works fine. fits down inside the bigger tin quite a ways and actually allows me to grip it easily with 1 hand. i ordered it over the internet and was dismayed at first at how small it was, but quickly adapted. only thing is it's probably a little tougher to separate than the 18oz would be. still easy, though -- squeeze and twist.