• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

TAPrice

Non-alcoholic cocktails for adults

In Australia, Lemon, Lime Bitters is a local classic and a really excellent mocktail.

If it has bitters, it doesn't meet many people's definition of non-alcoholic. It will work for people who just want to avoid driving drunk, or don't feel like drinking, but probably not for recovering alcoholics.

Edited by Will (log)

I think there's definitely a shortage of good non-alcoholic drinks that are balanced / not overly sweet.

Haven't tried this one, but it sounds kind of interesting:

http://www.chow.com/galleries/149/nonalcoholic-cocktails/2363/little-pink-pearl

A local place makes a "ginger ale" which is a bit more like a lime ginger soda, with a strong ginger kick (juiced ginger, I think, not just ginger syrup). I think it's just lime, simple syrup, ginger juice, topped with club soda, in a highball glass with ice (preferably a single thin, tall block). Works well with lemon (Meyer or Eureka) too.

I'm on board with non-alcoholic drinks for adults, but I don't see the point of calling them 'cocktails'... what's wrong with 'drink', even if they contain ingredients that are often used in cocktails?

I'm on board with non-alcoholic drinks for adults, but I don't see the point of calling them 'cocktails'... what's wrong with 'drink', even if they contain ingredients that are often used in cocktails?

That's true, but the same could be said about many alcoholic drinks also if you really want to be a purist about it.

And, at the least, I can live with "non-alcoholic 'cocktail'" if it means I don't have to hear "mocktail".

In Australia, Lemon, Lime Bitters is a local classic and a really excellent mocktail.

If it has bitters, it doesn't meet many people's definition of non-alcoholic. It will work for people who just want to avoid driving drunk, or don't feel like drinking, but probably not for recovering alcoholics.

By my calculations, it would come out to 0.1% alcohol which means you'd have to drink 50 of them to get the same effect as a single beer. Hardly a risk for recovering alcoholics, IMHO.

By my calculations, it would come out to 0.1% alcohol which means you'd have to drink 50 of them to get the same effect as a single beer. Hardly a risk for recovering alcoholics, IMHO.

It's not that you'd run the risk of getting drunk from it. But folks in 12 step programs such as AA are supposed to abstain from alcohol, often even in cases where it's being cooked with, or is present only in small amounts. I think the point is not so much that it would get you drunk, but that it might cause someone to relapse.

And, this thread is about "adults", so probably not an issue in this case, but I believe you also couldn't serve a drink containing bitters to someone under 21.

Again, I'm not saying this would be in issue in many cases, but it's something to keep in mind -- it may not be much, but it's still technically not a "non-alcoholic" drink, any more than kombucha or non-alcoholic beer is.

Edited by Will (log)
  • Like 1

Woke up this morning craving

A.  a diet Dr. Pepper

OR

B.  grapefruit juice with lime seltzer

I had neither soda nor grapefruit juice in the house.  Picked up some pink grapefruit juice, mixed it with some grenadine then topped with some lime seltzer. 

• Like 1

I wanted some OJ but was out of oranges.  Mixed some passionfruit puree leftover from a baking project with a little cinnamon simple syrup and seltzer.  A winner.

• Like 1

love the new flavored seltzers and now will start to try to work with making some home made ones I believe.  Love ginger and pomegranate and some spicy things......

I've enjoying using some of the shrubs I've made recently, topped off with sparkling water.   I find they can share the combination of fruit plus palate-cleansing acidity that I appreciate in many wines.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ananth said:

The second one looks very interesting but unfortunately I am one of that minority to whom too much cilantro makes my mouth taste like it was washed with soap.  This looks like it may be just below that threshold and I adore pineapple and turmeric.  Thanks!!

if you have others recipes, do not hesitate to post them

I posted on the 'fancy mocktails' thread one year ago but didn't get any answer :ph34r:

maybe I'll try it here :

Hello everyone

I would like to try some mocktail recipes, nothing complex, just to have fun with different kind of syrups.

How would you proceed for a "non-alcoholic sour" ?

I guess it has to be topped with soda water/tonic water or ginger ale, collins glass then. Let’s call it non-alcoholic fizz or Collins then

How to make the drink?

The first time I tried something like this, I shook 1 oz of lemon juice and 1 oz of simple syrup like I would shake a normal cocktail. Even if it is obvious, I didn't think at the moment that a good part of the liquid would freeze. I felt kinda stupid when I tried to strain it.

So what is the best option?

-          Build the drink? I’ve read that carbonation naturally mixes the drink but does it really mix well if it contains citrus?

-          or shake the drink with fewer (one or two) ice cube like bartenders from Death & Co do for a Mai Tai for instance. The aim is not dilution here but merely to combine citrus and sugar.

Shaking it seems to be more efficient but if building it is enough to make a decent drink, I would gladly do that.

What about ratio? Basically for a sour, the ratio is 2:0,75;0,75 (sugar can be reduced to 0,5).

When no alcohol is used, is there a ratio we can use for having a good balance ? 1 of citrus and 0,75 of sugar maybe?

In a Collins glass (10oz), that would allow room for 4 oz of whatever carbonated liquid we want to add. But again, top the drink with 4 oz of soda water and 4 oz of ginger ale will not have the same balance so I guess that amount of syrup need to be adjusted in consequence. It is harder than it looks -_-

any advice?