• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking Chocolate

Ylee

I'm looking to smoke some chocolate for maybe a ganache. Am wondering if anyone can offer advice on this (eg. how long, and what should I smoke the chocolate with), or point me in the direction of where this has already been discussed..? I did a search but couldn't seem to find anything relevant.

Wouldn't using something like Lapsong Souchong tea create the desired result? Certainly sounds interesting.

Very different flavor than wood smoke of any kind, but totally viable option. So is a dash of chicory extract or liquid smoke in the cream measure. Smoked salt garnish is another way to go.

This should give you a good starting point to work from.

I made a lapsang souchong creme anglaise a couple of times (once for a chocolate dessert, once for a pear tart). Not sure how I feel about it. I think the idea was better than the execution. Worth trying again, though. I love that tea.

Notes from the underbelly

I'm looking to smoke some chocolate for maybe a ganache. Am wondering if anyone can offer advice on this (eg. how long, and what should I smoke the chocolate with), or point me in the direction of where this has already been discussed..? I did a search but couldn't seem to find anything relevant.

I know Vosges does a tobacco chocolate truffle by smoking the chocolate in a "smoke chamber". Or maybe smoke the cream?

Youtube has several videos on making a cold smoker. Maybe using a nice pipe tobacco in place of wood pellets?

It really doesn't require special equipment or precise timing. Toss some wood chips (or whatever you want to use) in a small pan, empty can, whatever. Cover with foil and poke a few small holes in the foil. Put it on the stove on fairly high heat. Melt some chocolate, put it in a pie pan or something wide and shallow and put it at one end of a large roasting pan. When a good smoke is coming from the holes in the foil move that pan to the other end of the roasting pan and seal the entire pan with foil. Leave it alone for a while. Don't worry about leaving it too long, give it 35 - 40 minutes and taste it. If it's more smoke than you want, blend it with some melted chocolate to mellow it. If it's not as much smoke as you want, re-fire the chips and seal it all up again.

It works with any chocolate, cocoa butter, regular butter... pretty much anything you want to give a smoke flavor to without cooking. You can give a nice smoke flavor to seafood by laying it in a pan of ice in the roasting pan (the ice cubes smoke too, you can melt them at the end and refreeze them to add smoke to a drink or you can use the water to infuse a light smoke flavor to whatever you cook in it). Have fun with it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.