• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Depaz Refashioned

TAPrice

I've been wanting to make Sasha Petraske's Depaz Refashioned ever since the Tales of the Cocktail calender showed up in my mailbox (Thanks Ann!). Problem was that Depaz Rhum wasn't available in my town. That ended this week, and I came home from the launch party today with a bottle of this very nice rum (Thanks Depaz brand rep!).

Here is what Petraske says:[ul]

1 barspoon (5ml) honey syrup (1 part water, 3 parts honey)

2 oz (60ml) Depaz Rhum

1 good dash each Peychaud and Angostura

Lemon peel[/ul]

Because I'm anal and like to measure, I want to measure the honey syrup. Alas, my bar spoon has holes in it so not so good for measuring. If my math is right (and I've had 3 Depaz cocktails, a shot of the stuff straight and a little glass of Depaz pure cane syrup--pretty sure the syrup didn't affect my sobriety) that's a 12:1 ration of rum to sweet. If the 12 parts is 2 oz, then the honey is too small of a fraction for me to calculate (I've forgotten all the math I ever learned). A 1/4 oz would be 1.5 parts, which is the smallest thing I can measure. At that amount, it makes a really great drink. But would it be better at 5ml.

Is a bar spoon less than a 1/4 oz typically? Are these things standard?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I've been wanting to make Sasha Petraske's Depaz Refashioned ever since the Tales of the Cocktail calender showed up in my mailbox (Thanks Ann!). Problem was that Depaz Rhum wasn't available in my town. That ended this week, and I came home from the launch party today with a bottle of this very nice rum (Thanks Depaz brand rep!).

Here is what Petraske says:[ul]

1 barspoon (5ml) honey syrup (1 part water, 3 parts honey)

2 oz (60ml) Depaz Rhum

1 good dash each Peychaud and Angostura

Lemon peel[/ul]

Because I'm anal and like to measure, I want to measure the honey syrup. Alas, my bar spoon has holes in it so not so good for measuring. If my math is right (and I've had 3 Depaz cocktails, a shot of the stuff straight and a little glass of Depaz pure cane syrup--pretty sure the syrup didn't affect my sobriety) that's a 12:1 ration of rum to sweet. If the 12 parts is 2 oz, then the honey is too small of a fraction for me to calculate (I've forgotten all the math I ever learned). A 1/4 oz would be 1.5 parts, which is the smallest thing I can measure. At that amount, it makes a really great drink. But would it be better at 5ml.

Is a bar spoon less than a 1/4 oz typically? Are these things standard?

A standard barspoon is the same as a teaspoon, or close enough. 1 tsp = 5ml and 6 tsp = 1 oz. If you're not sure exactly how big your barspoon is or just want to be even more meticulous then just use a measuring spoon.

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

If you're not sure exactly how big your barspoon is or just want to be even more meticulous then just use a measuring spoon.

-Andy

For some reason, the only bar spoon I could find had holes in it. Good for stirring, but not so good for measuring.

I'll have to swing by the restaurant supply store and try to find spoon without holes. I didn't realize they were a standard size.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

If you're not sure exactly how big your barspoon is or just want to be even more meticulous then just use a measuring spoon.

-Andy

For some reason, the only bar spoon I could find had holes in it. Good for stirring, but not so good for measuring.

I'll have to swing by the restaurant supply store and try to find spoon without holes. I didn't realize they were a standard size.

Approximately standard, I think might be a good qualifier to add. Typically though within a dash or two of a tsp.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman