• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Air cured Kobe beef recipe

chefadamg

Lookng to cure a nice piece of Kobe striploin for a wine dinner at Sothebys at the end of next month. Had a nice "air" dried Kobe beef at The French Laundry last month and thought Id give it a try.

Any recomendations on a recipe? I'm looking at a few basic bresaol recipes but they contain red wine. Thinking of using the basic recipe w/ out the wine, as Id prefer not to discolor the Kobe. I dont want to "pastrami" it or use any flavor detracting methods...just a nice dry cure of some sort.

Any other ideas or recipe recomendations?

Why anyone would cure dry Kobe beef is beyond me if it was real kobe and not Waygu? A true whole Kobe strip loin will also cost you upwards of $3-4K if you can get one.

Anyway, what type of cure was it? Most air dry beef cures use salt to prevent unwanted bacteria. If just air dryed such as dry aged beef, certain conditions of humidity and UV sanitation are usually employed to avoid illness.

Because real Kobe beef (A4 grade) is so fat intensive I have come to the conclusion that the Japanese prep is the best. Simply cube the Kobe and sear on each side briefly. This brings out the maximum flavor of the Kobe and minimizes the loss of fat. Western traditional methods for Kobe do not work well because of the ultra high fat content.-Dick

Why anyone would cure dry Kobe beef is beyond me if it was real kobe and not Waygu? A true whole Kobe strip loin will also cost you upwards of $3-4K if you can get one.

Anyway, what type of cure was it? Most air dry beef cures use salt to prevent unwanted bacteria. If just air dryed such as dry aged beef, certain conditions of humidity and UV sanitation are usually employed to avoid illness.

Because real Kobe beef (A4 grade) is so fat intensive I have come to the conclusion that the Japanese prep is the best. Simply cube the Kobe and sear on each side briefly. This brings out the maximum flavor of the Kobe and minimizes the loss of fat. Western traditional methods for Kobe do not work well because of the ultra high fat content.-Dick

If you've ever had the air dried kobe at French Laundry you wouldn't have to ask why.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm..people DO in fact cure Kobe beef. Ask the French Laundry.And real Kobe is readily available here in the NYC area. I wouldnt cure a whole strip loin..as that would feed a major NY restaurant for a month or so.

I've started w/ a 3# piece of A5 Kobe.(A5 on the Japanese quality score not the BMS scale) About 700 bucks. It cured for 7 days in salt and sugar w/ a few spices.... and has been hanging for a couple of weeks.

I thought about the fat content and made the decision that I would go ahead and see how it goes. Remember that sausage has a VERY high fat content as well..and cures rather well if you've ever had a nice salami. I'll snap some picks of the finished product.