• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian in KoP/Phoenixville/Skippack region?

bsims

I've poured over both the Chester County and Montco threads, but there seems to be a dearth of recommendations for Italian - posting a new topic as my area sort of straddles the topics of those threads. Looking for something with a nice atmosphere suitable for taking a lady-friend one might be in the early stages of trying to convince to spend more time with him, pref with entrees in the $25 range. BYO preferred, but not an absolute requirement.

Ideally somewhere in the rough triangle formed by KoP, Phoenixville, and Skippack - I'm willing to stray a bit farther, but much beyond that area and I may as well go down the city.

Thanks!

I've poured over both the Chester County and Montco threads, but there seems to be a dearth of recommendations for Italian - posting a new topic as my area sort of straddles the topics of those threads.    Looking for something with a nice atmosphere suitable for taking a lady-friend one might be in the early stages of trying to convince to spend more time with him, pref with entrees in the $25 range.  BYO preferred, but not an absolute requirement.

Ideally somewhere in the rough triangle formed by KoP, Phoenixville, and Skippack - I'm willing to stray a bit farther, but much beyond that area and I may as well go down the city.

Thanks!

there isn't a whole lotta non-chain/non-pizzeria italian in chester county (at least none that i've found). allegria in exton (off rt 100n right before you hit 113) is pretty good. here's a link to one of percy's threads about it. he also has a link to the restaurant's website ... http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1149839.

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

Thanks, I'm definitely a neophyte foodie, but even I noticed the lack - you are correct in the assumption that I'm not looking for a chain. Was sorta hoping there was one tucked away somewhere reasonably close that I missed... Exton is close to my place of employment (thanks egullet for turning me on to Han Dynasty - some tasty lunches have been had!), but from home, unfortunately might as well be driving to the city at that point.

I have heard that the owners of the Black Lab in Phoenixville are supposed to be opening an Italian spot on Bridge Street (might have actually read it somewhere here, but I can no longer find it). Anyone know if this is true, and if so, have a projected opening date? Looking forward to this one, based on a couple of meals I've had at the Black Lab...

Exton is close to my place of employment (thanks egullet for turning me on to Han Dynasty - some tasty lunches have been had!), but from home, unfortunately might as well be driving to the city at that point.

the parking is much easier in exton. ;)

another place i always liked is a small place called dolce vita in bridgeport pa (up 202 and dekalb pike from KoP). this place is really tiny and basically in the living room of a row home. the food is good, plentiful and you feel like you're eating at mom's (if mom was italian).

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

Blue Grotto in KOP is supposed to be decent italian. Don't know, I haven't been there. I am very picky about italian eats so I usually don't go unless I know something in advance.

Before the chef at Allegria in exton had his fancy place, he used to have a place in the strip mall across from the Exton Mall. When I ate there I always enjoyed the food. I haven't been to the fancy place but I imagine he still knows how to rattle the pots and pans.

I would give Allegria a try. I would trust a Percy or Philadinning recommendation before a Laban.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I would give Allegria a try. I would trust a Percy or Philadinning recommendation before a Laban and Philadinning.

WOW, that is high praise indeed. :wub: Personally, I would stick with Laban :biggrin:

You are right in that good "Italian" places are scarce, though lets define "Italian" a bit more. Are you looking for "American Italian", "Traditional Italian" (Allegra) or "Italian Influenced" (Birchrunville Store Cafe or Alba) cuisine?

If Allegria is not an option, you can try Alba in Malvern or Birchrunville Store Cafe if "Italian Influenced" is fine, though Birchrunville is more French than Italian influenced IMHO.

A bit further is Teresa's in downtown Wayne, but that might be further than you want to go. There is an OK Italian place next to Basil's in Paoli (San Marco?).

Skippack also has Basta Pasta, which might be a bit casual and since I have not been there, I have no opinion of the food/service.

Hope that helps....more recommendations may come to mind if you indicate the type of Italian cuisine you are hoping for.

Edited by percyn (log)

Looking for something with a nice atmosphere suitable for taking a lady-friend one might be in the early stages of trying to convince to spend more time with him, pref with entrees in the $25 range.  BYO preferred, but not an absolute requirement.

Thanks!

forget restaurants. cook for your lady friends. they are worth it.