• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UGA fans heading to AZ in the fall....

UGA is playing at AZ St this fall and a group of us are heading in that direction. Fuss and I are taking the entire week and making a vacation but meeting folks over the w/e for the game. I have gotten some great ideas fr/ some of the posters over here but want some specifics and assistance in making things definite.

Plans are for the two of us to head straight for the Grand Canyon and dine at the lodges Tues & Wed nights (unless a better suggestion is offered). We will need to find a good (well-stocked & cheap!) liquor store some where between the airport and the highway out of town. From there we head over to Holbrook area and have no clue as to what might be there for decent food so are at your mercy. On Friday we meander our way down to Phx/Tempe/Scottsdale and hope to stop for lunch at Tortilla Flats just to say we did it.

We will meet friends (there will be 6+) on Fr for dinner and want some thing w/ a local flavor (some one suggested a place called Richardson's and I wanted to get opinions there or if there is a better "local" spot). We are also looking for some thing relatively close to Sun Devil Stadium for before the game (usually we would tail gate but having to fly limits us to what we can take). Any suggestions there would be most appreciated.

Most folks will be leaving on Sunday but Fuss and I are staying until Wed and want some suggestions for Sun/Mon/Tues pm. I know Sun/Mon is restaurant hell so any help there is definitely appreciated. We will try to hit Binkley's on Tuesday b/c of the recommendations fr/ the board and would love to try Cyclo and Zinc Bistro but can not find their hours/ days of operation on their web sites.

Looking forward to the trip and to any suggestions.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

UGA is playing at AZ St this fall and a group of us are heading in that direction.  Fuss and I are taking the entire week and making a vacation but meeting folks over the w/e for the game.  I have gotten some great ideas fr/ some of the posters over here but want some specifics and assistance in making things definite.   

Plans are for the two of us to head straight for the Grand Canyon and dine at the lodges Tues & Wed nights (unless a better suggestion is offered).  We will need to find a good (well-stocked & cheap!) liquor store some where between the airport and the highway out of town.  From there we head over to Holbrook area and have no clue as to what might be there for decent food so are at your mercy.  On Friday we meander our way down to Phx/Tempe/Scottsdale and hope to stop for lunch at Tortilla Flats just to say we did it. 

We will meet friends (there will be 6+) on Fr for dinner and want some thing w/ a local flavor (some one suggested a place called Richardson's and I wanted to get opinions there or if there is a better "local" spot).  We are also looking for some thing relatively close to Sun Devil Stadium for before the game (usually we would tail gate but having to fly limits us to what we can take).  Any suggestions there would be most appreciated. 

Most folks will be leaving on Sunday but Fuss and I are staying until Wed and want some suggestions for Sun/Mon/Tues pm.  I know Sun/Mon is restaurant hell so any help there is definitely appreciated.  We will try to hit Binkley's on Tuesday b/c of the recommendations fr/ the board and would love to try Cyclo and Zinc Bistro but can not find their hours/ days of operation on their web sites. 

Bev-Mo in Tempe is not that far from the airport

Beverages & more! Tempe, AZ

15 S. McClintock Dr

Tempe, AZ 85281

Store Contact: Email: store83@bevmo.com

Phone: (480) 446-0368

Fax: (480) 446-0370

Zinc is open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

Holbrook? I assume you are going there for the Petrified Forest. Don't get your hopes up on food there. You are going to do LOTS of driving with that schedule. Tortilla Flats in about as far out of Phoenix as you can get and still be technically near the Valley. The 88 Apache Trail gets very twisty turny near Canyon Lake and can be scary for flatlanders not used to hairpin turns and sheer dropoffs. It's a very kitschy, goofy kind of place. They serve prickly pear ice cream, which is pretty good.

I can recommend Carlsbad Tavern in Scottsdale instead of Richardson's for a "New Mexican" inspired meal that would be much closer to Sun Devil Stadium. I really, really like this restaurant.

Recommending other restaurants kind of depends on what part of the Valley you may be staying in. I'm in the East Valley so that's what I know best. I *think* Cyclo is closed on Mondays. If I'm passing by it, I'll try to remember to check the hours.

The BevMo at Tempe Marketplace is east of the airport just off the 202, not quite on the way to the Grand Canyon, but close enough to get what you want and get back going the right direction. There's construction on the I-17, so that will affect travel time going north.

UGA is playing at AZ St this fall and a group of us are heading in that direction.  Fuss and I are taking the entire week and making a vacation but meeting folks over the w/e for the game.  I have gotten some great ideas fr/ some of the posters over here but want some specifics and assistance in making things definite.   

Plans are for the two of us to head straight for the Grand Canyon and dine at the lodges Tues & Wed nights (unless a better suggestion is offered).  We will need to find a good (well-stocked & cheap!) liquor store some where between the airport and the highway out of town.  From there we head over to Holbrook area and have no clue as to what might be there for decent food so are at your mercy.  On Friday we meander our way down to Phx/Tempe/Scottsdale and hope to stop for lunch at Tortilla Flats just to say we did it. 

We will meet friends (there will be 6+) on Fr for dinner and want some thing w/ a local flavor (some one suggested a place called Richardson's and I wanted to get opinions there or if there is a better "local" spot).  We are also looking for some thing relatively close to Sun Devil Stadium for before the game (usually we would tail gate but having to fly limits us to what we can take).  Any suggestions there would be most appreciated. 

Most folks will be leaving on Sunday but Fuss and I are staying until Wed and want some suggestions for Sun/Mon/Tues pm.  I know Sun/Mon is restaurant hell so any help there is definitely appreciated.  We will try to hit Binkley's on Tuesday b/c of the recommendations fr/ the board and would love to try Cyclo and Zinc Bistro but can not find their hours/ days of operation on their web sites. 

Edited by lemniscate (log)

thx folks. We appreciate it. We are staying not too far fr/ the air port just South of Scottsdale proper while in Phx but are willing to drive/explore as this is probably a one-time trip.

It looks as if the Bev-Mo is not far fr/ the hotel.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

• 1 month later...