• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peperoncino Supplier, NYC?

mpav

Can anyone tell me where to find peperocino in Manhattan? I'm sure it's available, can't say that I've really looked for it, but a friend is in Italy and expressed the wish that she could obtain it here when she returned.

Thanks

Peperocino, do you mean crushed red pepper? If so, you can find that, and almost any other dried spice (and tons of other types of chiles) at Kalustyan's on Lexington and 28th street... They have everything... I even found French piment d'espelette there... Hope this helps...

Peperocino, do you mean crushed red pepper?  If so, you can find that, and almost any other dried spice (and tons of other types of chiles) at Kalustyan's on Lexington and 28th street...  They have everything... I even found French piment d'espelette there...  Hope this helps...

I don't think it's the crushed red pepper. It's described this way:

"Instead of red pepper flakes, they are like little red chili peppers..."

Here is an article by Dave DeWitt and Harald Zoschke about the many types of peperoncino:

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/peperoncino.html

The ones you describe seem to be mentioned: "...However, an Italian–rather than Latin–term is used for the piquin-like fruits: diavoletti, or little devils." Dried piquins should not be too hard to find at a Mexican market if Kalustyan's doesn't carry them, and they would seem to make a very close substitute.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."