• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bittman on Cocktails

slkinsey

In a cursory Google search, I found nothing about him.

I agree that someone's favorite bartender is not necessarily an authority on mixology, especially not highbrow cocktailian stuff. For example, the "best" bartender I know is Patrick O'Sullivan, the Seppi's bartender (whom you'll find plenty of references to on Google). A legendary New York bartender -- also highly Google-able -- is Norman Bukofzer at the Ritz. These guys mix the standard cocktails well, and they have amazing personalities. Patrick has done some inventing, especially with cocktails that contain beer.

But neither Patrick nor Norman is the kind of authority that, say, Audrey Saunders or Dave Wondrich is. They're just not in the same category. Were I writing an article about how to be a great New York barman I'd call Patrick or Norman for quotes. Were I writing an article about the specifics of cocktail history and culture, I'd call one of the cocktailian expert types.

I have no idea what kind of bartender this Pete fellow is, but the cocktailian community is pretty small. If nobody here has heard of him, he's probably not part of that community. He may very well still be a great bartender.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Maybe Miami Danny can shed some light on the situation.

Any scoop on him?

The two chefswebsite shows Juan Seda as the bar manager for it.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

• 7 months later...

Ugh... I'm glad you all could finish watching that video... all the verbal ass kissing stopped me about a minute in.

Why can't these people just let seasoned bartenders talk about cocktails?

Red Bull/Vodka is the downfall of civilization...