• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bridge Kitchenware moving to NJ

Beanie

I just received an email from Bridge Kitchenware announcing their move from NYC to East Hanover, NJ. There's an inventory sale from June 25th through July 3rd. Truly the end of an era.

From the email:

After 62 years in New York City Bridge Kitchenware is moving to New Jersey.

Why leave NYC? “When my wife and I both work we only see our children for five minutes, and that’s no way to raise a family. It was really tough on them this past December. We are putting our family first and moving for a better quality of life for our kids,” explained Steven Bridge. “New Yorkers can still shop with us on-line and receive it the next day. For our customers outside of New Jersey there will be no sales tax, just shipping fees. We hope our customers will understand and support our decision.”

NYC STORE MOVING SALE:

We are currently running a moving sale in our NYC Store, and the pricing has been extended to our website as well. Shipping will be delayed, as our primary goal for the week of June 25th - July 3rd is to wait on customers in the store and lower our inventory prior to our move.

Orders accepted up until July 3rd will be shipped the following week. Orders placed from July 4 - July 15th will be shipped starting July 16th in the order they were received.

Store Hours:

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

through

Thursday, July 3, 2008

NYC Store Hours: Monday-Friday 9am-6pm;

Saturdays 10am-4:30pm; closed Sundays

East Hanover, NJ Store:

Bridge Kitchenware is creating a small store front showroom where they have their warehouse in East Hanover, NJ. “There are multiple rooms, which gives it the charm of my father’s old store of 52nd Street,” said Steven Bridge. “Our business plan will be to return to our grass roots of focusing on the professional chefs, as well as offering these items to the home chef.  We will have many new products after we are settled, including a full line of Sambonet tabletop products from Italy."  After we close the NYC store on July 3, we will have a "soft opening" in NJ starting Monday, July 28th with a Grand Opening sometime in September.  Orders on-line will continually process as normal.

New Address:    49 Eagle Rock Avenue

East Hanover , NJ 07932

For directions please see our website.

Phone:                We are still keeping our main

New York  telephone number

(212) 688-4220 until December 2009. 

Our local telephone number

is (973)240-7364 

Hours:                Monday-Friday 9:30AM-4:30PM ,

Saturdays 10AM - 1PM. Closed Sundays

(NOTE:  Closed Saturdays mid-June through

Labor Day).

Note:  Login as a user and receive better pricing, private sales and announcements.

Ilene

That's kinda sad, but inevitable. When I lived in NYC I spent more than a couple of afternoons strolling the aisles, and picked up my first piece of Paderno there. I hope they do well in their new spot...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

That's kinda sad, but inevitable.  When I lived in NYC I spent more than a couple of afternoons strolling the aisles, and picked up my first piece of Paderno there.  I hope they do well in their new spot...

And I bought my first piece of Sitram. Best cookware purchase I ever made.

Ilene

Does anyone besides me have memories of the store before they moved to East 52nd Street? It was, as I recall, on Third Avenue and 33rd Street.

Correct. Here's the store's history. I recall a small store cluttered with utensils hanging from the ceiling. Fred Bridge dispensed valuable advice to customers he deemed *worthy*, i.e., serious about cooking. I was a poor student at the time, but he advised me to purchase a Sitram saute pan and Wusthof chef knife, both of which I continue to use on a regular basis and are as good as new.

Ilene

I just realized for the first time that the place is called Bridge because the owners' last name is Bridge. I always just assumed it had something to do with one of New York City's many bridges.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

They're having a moving sale. For a while it was just minor discounts on their crappiest products, but now it's pretty compelling. 50% of list price on all Mauviel copper, for example. Discounts might get deeper as the final hour approaches.

Notes from the underbelly