• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mystery machine @ texturas....

dr_justice

Hey everyone,

Over the last month or so I got heavily got into MG experimentation with alginate, xanthan gum, gluco, and all those other fun products.

There is one thing that eludes me however. Over here:

http://www.texturaselbulli.com/ENG/videos_recetas_01.html#

If you look at the first two videos (Meat jus, part 1 and 2) at the beginning of the 2nd video the juice mix is poured into a machine that makes heavy foam out of the liquid. It looks like it's cooking, but I can't be sure. Or is it a sous-vide machine trying to get the air bubbles out of the mixture?

Do any of you what this machine is, or how we can achieve the same result without that machine at home?

Thanks

Joo.

Hey everyone,

Over the last month or so I got heavily got into MG experimentation with alginate, xanthan gum, gluco, and all those other fun products.

There is one thing that eludes me however. Over here:

http://www.texturaselbulli.com/ENG/videos_recetas_01.html#

If you look at the first two videos (Meat jus, part 1 and 2) at the beginning of the 2nd video the juice mix is poured into a machine that makes heavy foam out of the liquid. It looks like it's cooking, but I can't be sure. Or is it a sous-vide machine trying to get the air bubbles out of the mixture?

Do any of you what this machine is, or how we can achieve the same result without that machine at home?

Thanks

Joo.

It's a chamber cryovac, for sure. I use mine similarly to remove air bubbles from solutions with hydrocolloids.

Fast talking got it...vacuum chamber machine. At home, your best bet is either:

A) Food Saver with the canister attachment

B) letting the liquid sit for hours to settle...this is not effective with stable foam forming mixes

Thanks very much guys.  I will look into the food saver options.

Do a search as there was a thread regarding just this topic. I suggested using either a reversible low flow pump like my company sells to inflate sports equipment or a handheld vacuum pump like you degas brake or clutch fluid with.