• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Real Time Problem: Help me get my knives!

OK, let's see if I can set this up.

I have the kind of knife block that sits in a kitchen drawer. The knives sit in individual slots.

Unfortunately, I obviously wasn't careful enough when I put my 10" wusthof back into its slot--because the handle is no longer lying flush (i.e. lower than the top of the drawer) and is preventing me from opening the drawer more than 1/2". The knife handle is sticking up.

Since the knife is in its little slot, I can't just push it down or out of the way--it's effectively stuck.

Any suggestions on how to get my drawer back open? Long thin but incredibly strong tong suggestions? Preferably ones that can be threaded through a 1/2" opening.

I prepared our meal tonight using a steak knife. Help!!

(I know this is a long shot, but thought I would ask the kitchen experts)

Thanks so much...

Thank you ALL for your suggestions. I am going to give up for the night and then look for the feeding tongs and/or an offset spatula (I need one anyway). If these don't work, then the saw!!

(I can't open the drawer up enough to take the front off, alas...)

Going to make ice cream to soothe my nerves. And drink.

Will update when the Drawer Opens.

Are there more drawers underneath that drawer? See if you can remove those and get under there, reach in behind the stuck drawer (there's usually a little bit of space) and see if you can possibly maneuver something long and flexible into the drawer to push the handle down. (I'm thinking crumpled up metal coathanger, flyswatter...)

Good luck. :unsure:

Thank you ALL for your suggestions. I am going to give up for the night and then look for the feeding tongs and/or an offset spatula (I need one anyway). If these don't work, then the saw!!

(I can't open the drawer up enough to take the front off, alas...)

Going to make ice cream to soothe my nerves. And drink.

Will update when the Drawer Opens.

I have a Wave in-drawer knife tray in one of my drawers. On occasion the tray will slide forward (toward the back of the drawer) so the knife handles are no longer at the very front of the drawer. When that happens they tend to catch on the lip of the drawer, keeping it from opening. I suspect that something similar is happening here.

Relax. This is fairly easy to remedy. Only the upper portion of the knife handles generally comes into contact with the lip of the drawer slot. It doesn't take much to tilt the handle back downward. The trick is to close the drawer as much as possible, leaving only a narrow slot in which to hook a pinky (my standard method) or a ruler. Opening the drawer only narrows the area in which you have to work. I use a flexible metal ruler that works wonders. Simply slide it into the gap and guide it along the tops of the knife handles. All you need to do is tilt them downward slightly. It is usually only one or two handles that are the problem. You rarely have to depress all of them. Find the offending handle, press it down slightly, and gently open the drawer.

In the future a little Fun-Takwill keep the tray from sliding forward enough for the handles to catch.

Hope this helps,

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

If this isn't the top drawer, you should be able to remove the drawer above it. Pull out the drawer(s) above the stuck one as far as you can; there should be little stops on either side that you push in the release the drawer, or else you should be able to lift up the front of the drawer to release it from the little hooks in there that keep it from sliding out.

If this is the top drawer and you only can open the drawer a few millimeters, we then proceed confidently to Plan B: take out your retractable steel tape measure, the kind that contractors use, and see if you can jimmy it in through the top of your stuck drawer (this will only require a tiny opening) so that you can move it around in there. Try to hook the bent end of the tape measure over your knife blade so that you can move it; you might even be able to move the entire knife block this way. Even if you can only move the knife block a little bit, this should be enough to help you open the drawer a little more. At that point use a flexible spatula or that steak knife of yours to push things around so you can opening up the drawer even further. To help shift things around more and release some of your frustration, rattle the drawer as hard as you can, up and down and back and forth. Cursing helps.

Still no luck? On to Plan C: remove any drawers under the knife drawer, find yourself a long, bendable, stiff something-or-other like a flexible 10-inch offset spatula. Get down on your knees and stick this spatula up and over the back of the offending drawer, and do your best to shove things around in the drawer.

Plan D involves explosives, and I don't know whether you rent or own.

www.carolynjphillips.blogspot.com

HI,

I'd slip a curved sheet of flexible plastic into the drawer slot. A flexible chopping mat or silpat sheet or small oven liner should work. If it will curve above the edge of the knife, then you can slip in something a little stiffer.

Good luck,

Tim

Have had the same thing happen with other tools and have found that the wire handle of a flyswatter is perfect for bending into an arc that can be fed through a very narrow opening and yet is still stiff enough to loop the handle over the offending tool and press it down while pulling the drawer open.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

HI,

I'd slip a curved sheet of flexible plastic into the drawer slot.  A flexible chopping mat or silpat sheet or small oven liner should work.  If it will curve above the edge of the knife, then you can slip in something a little stiffer.

Good luck,

Tim

Exactly---works every time. And now KNIVES are at stake.

This has been our mainstay forever, even in THE DRAWER---we all have one, in kitchen or pantry or bathroom, in which resides a collection of unrelated, unwieldy stuff to stock a scavenger hunt.

Even a manila file folder or flat binder will serve in a pinch.

And...SUCCESS.

:biggrin:

That smilie isn't quite big enough. So relieved.

Bought flexible silicone spatula, slipped it in, and somehow maneuvered the knives around. Took about 15 minutes--easier without panic and agita. I feel really really happy. And my knives seem in OK shape, too.

Going to eat ice cream again--celebratory, raw milk strawberry ice cream! Then I'll find something to slice up with my new-found knives.

Thanks again!