• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yellowfin tuna steaks

stellabella

I have very little experience cooking fish. We always grill it, or poach it. I thawed two lovely tuna steaks this morning and I want to cook them inside. How?

I was thinking of making a side dish with ginger/sesame sweet potatoes, brocoli, white beans.

Help? [be fairly explicit, por favor]

Basically, you can sear seasoned tuna in a frying pan the way you would a steak--a few a few minutes on each side should do it, depending on thickness and how rare you like it. For your menu, I would go slightly Asian: salt it, crust it in sesame seeds and sear it. Different mixes of crushed sprices, like pepper/cumin/sesame are good too if you are feeling adventurous, though the flavors can overpower the tuna.

Mmmm. Tuna is good. :smile:

While I prefer grilling or searing, I have poached tuna steaks in sake with ginger and lemongrass and then used the poaching liquid to make a soup by adding dashi and lemon zest. The tuna was served on microgreens with salmon roe atop. Accompaniments were I think zaru-soba and hiyayakko, tsukemono.

Rather nice and well received at the time.

I wouldn't bother with trying to serve most tuna steaks as sashimi as they're loin.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

If you coat the top and bottom with a mix of coarsely cracked black pepper and coarsley ground coriander seeds, and saute in vegetable oil (rather than olive oil) you'll get something very pastrami-like and delicious. Be sure to cook no more than medium rare.

Serve with mustard. Really. Or, thin some Dijon mustard with a little cream.

Get thin sliced, maybe 1/2 inch, sear on both sides until very rare(1 minute each). Add a small handfull of capers and chopped black olives. add your favorite tomato sauce, a liitle hot sauce and s&p and your favorite herb, Cook for a minute or two. Serve with rice to soak up the sauce.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

My most recent tuna steak preparation:

Sauteed some veggies, don't remember exactly which but probably bamboo shoots, red pepper, and some type of mushroom, add a can of coconut milk and some Thai red curry paste. Season with salt and pepper, throw in some lemon grass and kaffir lime leaf and simmer until the veggies are to my liking (still crunchy).

In a cast iron grill pan I seared the tuna steaks ,that had been seasoned with salt and pepper and rubbed with a little canola oil, until rare. Cut into slices and placed atop the curry that had been placed in shallow bowls, sprinkled some basil on top.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I make tuna salad sandwiches with leftover tuna steaks. Well, I actually cook extra in order to make the sandwiches.

Well, actually I admit to cooking them specifically to make tuna salad sandwiches.

Um. Okay.

I admit to making tuna salad sandwiches with warm, crumbled tuna steaks.

I know I'm a bad person to waste tuna steaks like this but it just doesn't seem relevant at the time.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I know I'm a bad person to waste tuna steaks like this but it just doesn't seem relevant at the time.

i've made some pretty poor and embarrassing decisions whilst under the influence of tuna steaks as well. the first step is admitting it. you're almost home jinny. and you're around people who care. perhaps we care more about your tuna sandwiches than your well-being, but regardless, we care. deeply.

tommy, fresh mayo with a bit of Dijon, slivered scallions, sooooft and sour sourdough bread with a good crust. Frites.

:unsure:

It's good.

Well, if you make a salade nicoise-ish thing with roasted baby red potatoes or fingerlings, black olives, blanched onion, some crumbled hard-cooked eggs, some crumbled tuna, tossed lightly with oregano, some fresh mayonaisse atop, and red lumpfish roe people will not look up. And won't try to take your sandwich away. :wink:

ediot:

forgot about "tossing lightly".