• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gnocchi Bianchi

hathor

I had someone ask me if I knew anything about a desert type pudding/custard called gnocchi bianco that involves semolina, milk, cinnamon and is served warm.

Maybe from up around the Friuli region.....

I came up with gnocchi latte from my Artusi book, but it doesn't include semolina.

There is a semolina pudding recipe on allrecipes.com that calls for Semolina Flour, milk and cinnamon. It's greek not italian. See if this is close:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Semolina-Pudding/Detail.aspx

Semolina Pudding

SUBMITTED BY: GORGO

"A moist, delicious Greek treat. You can alter the sugar depending on your sweet tooth. When adding the milk to the semolina don't get to close, the steam may burn you. Oh, and the smell is awful but the result is delicious. Sprinkle with cinnamon and decorate with walnuts or slivered almonds."

INGREDIENTS

1 cup water

1 1/2 cups milk

1 1/2 cups white sugar

1 cinnamon stick

1/2 cup butter

1 cup semolina flour

DIRECTIONS

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine water, milk, sugar and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Remove cinnamon stick.

In another saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Allow it to bubble, but not to brown. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the semolina, a little at a time, until mixture is thick and smooth. Allow it to brown slightly, then stir in the milk mixture, a little at a time. Continue to stir until mixture has progressed from creamy to thick.

Place halva in a gelatin mold or glass dish. Serve hot or cold.