• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

School Me on Plate Coverage

Chris Amirault

I have been reading Nations Restaurant News a bit lately and have become fascinated with the concept of "plate coverage." Heretofore merely a baseball term in my brain, I'm starting to learn that this refers to filling, even overfilling, a plate with stuff so that it looks abundant to the diner upon delivery to table.

If that's about right -- and please correct me if it's not -- it seems that plate coverage is a desire that only particular restauranteurs seek to fulfill. Is this a family-casual concept only, or do prime steak houses toss parsley on for a similar effect? Do you seek plate coverage? Don't you?

Do tell.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

To me, plate coverage practitioners operate in terms of value perception for people who think in terms of quantity, not quality. Higher up the scale you've got those that prefer to "paint" around the smaller portions or just smear. I find those "painting" and/or "smearing" rather tiresome and lacking in originality.

That would be alotta smear, but then It wouldn't surprise me to see it done. Fries work, and now that I think of it, there is also the Gotham B&G vertical plate (overhead air space) coverage. If you can't go large to the left or right, go big, up.