• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fine Dining in Seattle

My girlfriend and I will be taking a trip to Seattle this October (we have plenty of time for reservations) and we have set aside $200 for a fancy dinner. We would hope that the $200 would include a decent bottle of wine, but if the food is just that good, we can do with just a glass or two.

Any suggestions would be welcome, we plan to go to dinner on either Wednesday or Thursday so as to avoid the crowds, but once again, if the food is just that good we will deal with crowds.

Also, we have about 10 other unplanned meals and are looking for suggestions (lunch and dinners, $15-30 per person kinda places [bargain joints welcome, too], Salumi is already on the list).

For both catagories we are looking for something unique to the region and, of course, tasty. I am a VERY adventurous eater (head to tail). My girlfriend not so much, though she is relatively adventurous, so if there are a few pseudo-normal items on the menu that would be nice.

We need:

1 - Fine Dining experience

10 - Casual dining lunch and dinner (Seafood Stands, a particular booth in Pike Place, coffee/sandwich places, landmark places, picnic spots, etc)

Also again - if there is something in Pike Place market that is a must have, I would totally be willing to get a hotplate in my hotel if anyone has some good preparations/recipes... (I think I saw something about grouper cheeks?)

Another Also - if anyone knows of any good picnic places and what the alcohol laws are in the area (is there a place I could open and pour a bottle of wine in public, like a park or pier etc.)

Thank You in advance for your local expertise!

Not to rain on your parade (cause in October our weather is gonna do that without my help :laugh:) but alcohol is prohibited in Seattle parks without a permit...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Thanks for the input so far guys! Art of the Table looks promising. I definitly like the idea of prix fixe, it ensures that the ingredients are of the utmost quality and freshness.

So far we are considering: (no particular order)

Art of the Table

Sitka & Spruce

Veil

Crush

Spring Hill

Volterra

Teatro ZanZanni (not for fine dining, but for our dinner and a show night)

still dont know of any good local seafood stands or dives/pubs, they dont usually tend to be on the internet...

Also, any recommendations for Chinatown? This would be the place for the head to tail/land, sea and air type of food!

There's also cache (book early!!) and a bunch of others I've never eaten at, but can give you a better idea in about two weeks... *g*

my list goes something like:

- Salumi

- Marcina Bakery

- La Carta De Oaxaca

- Tilth

- Harvest Vine

- elemental @ gas works

- union

More suggestions and opinions welcome.

Oh, and I'm doing that Savourseattle.com tour thing at Pike Place on Sunday.

Edited by jenc (log)

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

hmmm the only places I would consider to be fine dining in seattle would be Rovers and Le Gourmand

Close to that tier but just a tad more casual in service would be Union and Crush

My "must dine at" Seattle restos also include Harvest Vine, Lark, Tavolata, How to Cook a Wolf if you can get in (no ressies) & Sitka & Spruce.

You can buy beers and drink them on the ferry to Bainbridge :)

Super Sweet, we are taking the ferry to Bainbridge on Sunday...

Anyone been to Cafe Nola?

And what is a good winery there?

Not too excited about Bainbridge winery as I am not into sweet or fruit wines that much.

Keep the info coming - VERY useful so far in pointing me in the right direction to research!

Madoka on Bainbridge would be my choice, though I have not been. They are even open on Sunday evening!

http://www.madokaonbainbridge.com/

Chinatown - Tamarind Tree for Vietnamese, or Green Leaf, Jade Garden for dim sum. You can also scroll through the 150MSG (MSG150?) blog for a comprehensive view of lunching in the ID (International District.) If Malay Satay Hut is reopened by then, it is unlike anything else.

The Pike Place crawl for lunches on the Mouthfulsfood site is a great overview of what is in the market.

Fine dining - you could also consider Canlis (with our favorite pastry chef) and some of the hotel restaurants. Really.

Ditto TSquare's ID (Chinatown) recommendations. Plus, if you like crab, add Seven Stars Pepper to the list, and get the Szechuan crab.

Seafood stalls/dives/etc: Market Grill in the Pike Place Market for salmon sandwiches, Pike Place Chowder for chowder and other seafood soups. I know a lot of people that love Sunfish on Alki for fish and chips and fish kebobs, but I haven't been. Alki is a pretty waterfront area in West Seattle (great views back to downtown) and would be a nice trip, too.

Not fine dining (LMF is right that most of the places being recommended here aren't fine dining, though they are some of the best restaurants in the city), but IMO a don't miss, is Matt's in the Market. Lunch is less expensive if you want to go that route and save your $$ for dinner somewhere else.

I have been to cafe NOLA a few times- breakfast items are definitely the way to go here, lunch items have been disappointing. the bloody marys are great!

Haven't been to Madoka as they are only open for dinner and I'm usually doing a day trip to Bainbridge.

The winery is fine but not a go out of your way destination.

• 1 month later...

My G/F and I just got back from a trip to Seattle and Portland.

One of our fave's was the Pomegranate Bistro in Redmond. Very, very tasty meals and the service was excellent.

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

Hmmmmm - we have dined at Le Gourmand several times and I would not put it in the same class with Rovers - both quality and price.

Rover's will be much more than $200, unless you meant per person.

hmmm the only places I would consider to be fine dining in seattle would be Rovers and Le Gourmand

Close to that tier but just a tad more casual in service would be Union and Crush

My "must dine at" Seattle restos also include Harvest Vine, Lark, Tavolata, How to Cook a Wolf if you can get in (no ressies) & Sitka & Spruce.

You can buy beers and drink them on the ferry to Bainbridge :)

Edited by SeAAttle (log)

Recommend Maximilien in the Market, lunch or dinner. Just to the left of the fish throwers in Pike Market, take the corridor that angles off to the left. Great view of Elliott Bay, even if the weather is not great. Best to make reservations for dinner, although walk-ins will often be fine.

Another new spot - Spur, a few blocks from the Market, on Blanchard. It is a gastropub - good cocktails, beer, wine, and excellent food. Local products being handled well, with some fun twists thanks to molecular gastronomy. Not in your face, but you'll be trying to figure out how they did that! You could drop more than $30 per person quickly, or enjoy a bison burger and drink and get out there.

Don't forget the half-priced food at Brasa, in the bar - it is still a great deal!

Okay, well here are some visual tours:

Tilth

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlunar/sets/72157606643405187/

Went for lunch, some really nice dishes, some better value than others. Really loved the house-made pasta, (but had lowest value), and it's nice that it's all local/organic.

Rover's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlunar/sets/72157606643405189/

Great classic French. Sauces are awesome, plating is really nice too. Recommend getting the house specialty of the Egg and caviar. Nom nom nom.

Havest Vine

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlunar/sets/72157606695526280/

Didn't have too much. Tapas style. What I did have was nice, but I'm not sure I'd be back there right away. Really enjoyed the Salted Caramel Ice Cream. But I'm a sucker for that.

Elemental

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlunar/sets/72157606659944477/

Had a great time. Got to sit at the bar overlooking the kitchen, (perfect spot!), and enjoyed the simple, but well-prepped food. Great value.

Salumi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlunar/sets/72157606642493203/

Had a nice late afternoon snack of salami and bread and olives. Great with wine. Wish I had sat at the shared table... Tasty and fun visit. Very casual, of course.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Toronto's always got something going on, but I find the food community less hmn.. involved, than their west-coast counterparts. I mean, it's usually dead in the Toronto forum, and I'd say I should post way more.. but I don't. It's odd. I should make more of an effort...!

Are you someone who doesn't mind hopping around for starters and a drink somewhere, then moving on to another venue for coffee and dessert?

Some highlights from my trip included:

-Monsoon (dinner or dim sum brunch)

-Kingfish Cafe (brunch)

-Lark (anything... just go. The plates are small so you can go as heavy as you want)

-Veil (I loved the foie gras with pb & j and the salted peanut butter ice cream)

At the Pike Place Market:

-Matt’s in the Market for lunch-- a must.

-The Crumpet Shop for tea and crumpets

-DiLaurenti for Salumi meats if you have a craving and Salumi is closed

-City Fish for smoked sturgeon, smoked sable and smoked Chilean sea bass to eat as a snack or on a picnic.

-Uli’s for sausages.

If you happen to pass by, grab a warm glazed cake doughnut at Top Pot Doughnuts, but make a special trip for one of the wonderful sticky buns from from Belle’s Buns. They're incredibly special.

I have heard many times that the cubano at Paseo is amazing, so if you make it there you will have to report back with all the delicious details...

If you like cocktails:

-Early evening: Union.

-Late evening: Palace Kitchen

-Late-late: Zig Zag. Not to be missed.

On your way back from Salumi, hit up Grand Central Bakery for coffee and a big slice of pear polenta pound cake.

Finally, swing by Chefshop for the best olive oils, vinegars and some RJ’s licorice.

Edited by Verjuice (log)

Are you someone who doesn't mind hopping around for starters and a drink somewhere, then moving on to another venue for coffee and dessert?

Some highlights from my trip included:

-Monsoon (dinner or dim sum brunch)

-Kingfish Cafe (brunch)

-Lark (anything... just go. The plates are small so you can go as heavy as you want)

-Veil (I loved the foie gras with pb & j and the salted peanut butter ice cream)

At the Pike Place Market:

-Matt’s in the Market for lunch-- a must.

-The Crumpet Shop for tea and crumpets

-DiLaurenti for Salumi meats if you have a craving and Salumi is closed

-City Fish for smoked sturgeon, smoked sable and smoked Chilean sea bass to eat as a snack or on a picnic.

-Uli’s for sausages.

If you happen to pass by, grab a warm glazed cake doughnut at Top Pot Doughnuts, but make a special trip for one of the wonderful sticky buns from from Belle’s Buns. They're incredibly special.

I have heard many times that the cubano at Paseo is amazing, so if you make it there you will have to report back with all the delicious details...

If you like cocktails:

-Early evening: Union.

-Late evening: Palace Kitchen

-Late-late: Zig Zag. Not to be missed.

On your way back from Salumi, hit up Grand Central Bakery for coffee and a big slice of pear polenta pound cake.

Finally, swing  by Chefshop for the best olive oils, vinegars and some RJ’s licorice.

For cocktails you should add Vessel to the list.

Rocky

• 2 weeks later...

wow - you guys are great!! :laugh: - I havent checked this threed in a while and now I have alot of research to do - I know I requested fine dining - but Spur looks right up my alley. RockDoggydog - yes I am the typr to wander aroung for different courses. Gosh, we only have so much time and food is the main reason we are going to Seattle - I need to find some sort of hunger stimulant!

• 2 weeks later...

I just left Seattle on Wednesday and had a great lunch at Matt's in Pike Place, a terrific lunch at Rover's($300 for two, Friday's only, but amazing) and a fair dinner at Tilth. Tilth, in my opinion, is highly overated and certainly would disagree with Mr. Bruni from the NY Times that it would be a top ten in America to try. Cafe Juanita, we weren't able to make our reservation but we wish we had been able to. Lot's of great food to be found. A great lunch and easy dinner can just be done by walking through Pike Place and getting fruit, cheese and bread with charcuterie. Seattle has an amazing selction of great restaurants. We want to move there! :cool:

Edited by rdnkchef (log)

• 4 weeks later...

OK - 1st off - THANK YOU to everyone for your great input! I wish I could get to everything, it all looked great, but for now here is the (dining) itinerary:

Wed Oct 8th

7:30pm Crush

Thurs Oct 9th

AM - Pike Place Market Breakfast Shopping + Food Crawl (get breakfast stuff for week)

Lunch - Salumi

Dinner - Teatro ZinZanni

Fri Oct 10th

Lunch - Chinatown (ID) Food Crawl

Dinner - 7pm - Union

Saturday Oct 11th

Snoqualmie Falls and Winery tour (Columbia and Chateau St Michelle wineries)

Dinner - 7ish - Spur Gastropub

Sunday Oct 12th

Bainbridge Island

Brunch-ish - Cafe Nola

Dinner - Madoka

Monday Oct 13th

Lunch - Salumi or Fish stand

Departure 2pm

THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING WITH YOUR GREAT LOCAL INSIGHTS!

If anyone happens to be at these places around these times - look for the young (under 30) Hispanic couple that is REALLY scrutinizing a menu/enjoying the food. Come up and say Hi!

Cant Wait to experience the PNW!! :biggrin: