• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Madras Coffee

Wesley1

I recently dined at a local Indian restaurant and ended the meal with what was titled "Madras Coffee." We all loved it, but had no idea about what it contained.

Does anyone have any idea how its made? And can anyone explain the relationship between this and madras curry, which i know to be fairly spicy?

• 3 weeks later...

Madras is a city in Tamil Nadu, a state in India.

Madras coffee would probably mean south Indian style coffe.

Coffee is grown in south India.

It is usually prepared in an indian coffee filter. This is a small metal filter in which hte coffee is packed really tight, and left over night to drip through into a strong decoction. This is then mixed with boiled milk, which is sometimes aerated by pouring it from cup to cup.

You can buy Indian coffee beans and indian coffee filters online. But i cant find the link. try googling it.