• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegan Dinner w/ wine pairing

Amida0616

Some people from work and I are going to a vegan dinner club. I would like to pick out some wines to split between the group that would pair well with dinner.

Any advice as far as pairings, as well as recommendations to specific wines that might be easy on the budget would be welcome.

1st course

"summer squash roulade with

macadamia 'salata' and basil pesto"

Gewürztraminer?

2nd course

"wild arugula with sesame onion rings

and sweet mustard seed tahini dressing"

Dry Chardonnay?

3rd course

"young coconut 'pad thai' with

snow peas and almond chile sauce"

Pinot Noir??

4th

chocolate 'cheese' cake with

strawberries and black mint syrup

I think 3 bottles will probably be enough for this group of 6 so maybe nothing with dessert.

I drink a lot of wine for dinner but it is mostly just good bottles of dry cabernet that i split with my girl. This would be my first attempt at a "higher level" wine pairing.

Tips?

Suggestions?

Specific wines you recommend?

1. It is my understanding that many vegans object to the use of eggs in any form and quite a few wines are fined with egg whites. Will this be a problem?

No. Only one person is truly vegan and i dont think he is quite that strict.

Good question though i have actually talked to strict vegans who got wine from "pure food and wine" and were upset that they were not served vegan wines and found out afterward.

2. Do the wines have to be organic?

No, although it would not be a bad thing, however the only organic wine i have had was really horrible.

I am not sure if this is how all organic wines are.

I am basically only concerned with flavor.

Edited by Amida0616 (log)

Chinon can be a good option with veggies, (esp grilled ones) and could perhaps stand in in lieu of the pinot. The other nice thing about Chinon vs. Pinot is that top-notch Chinon seems to typically be available for 1/3 the price of what a Pinot Noir of similar quality goes for. On the other hand, the place may not even carry any.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

the place does not carry any wine, it is byob.

Can you recommend a specific bottle of Chinon.

I guess i should have mentioned that most people going are not wine enthusiasts so i would not see spending more than 20-40$ per bottle (preferable 20$!) .

Thanks again

A very good Chinon producer in that price range (and probably even less) is Charles Joguet. They also make a Chinon Rose, which might be a better match for these dishes.

I'd probably go white. An Alsatian producer, Josmeyer, uses organic methods and produces Pinot Gris (for your first course), Gewurztraminer (for your second), and Riesling (for your third). All at the low end of your price range, if not lower. The only exception might be if you seek out the "Le Dragon" bottling of their Riesling.

For your dessert, many people like muscat with chocolate and berries. Others prefer something like Late Bottled Vintage Port. Again, both options are in your price range, probably on the low end.

Edited by Brad Ballinger (log)

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Thanks for all the help!

Heres is what i am thinking now.

1st course

"summer squash roulade with

macadamia 'salata' and basil pesto"

91726 06 Lucien Albrecht Pinot Gris ''Cuvee Romanus''

2nd course

"wild arugula with sesame onion rings

and sweet mustard seed tahini dressing"

1095 05 Trimbach Gewurztraminer

3rd course

"young coconut 'pad thai' with