• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

summer winter

I didn't know where to post this as it's not actually in Boston but in Burlington, a northern suburb-Has anyone tried Summer Winter at the Burlingtion Marriott??? I was shocked- pleasantly. I guess the exec chefs are the folks who run Arrows in Maine... Ogunquit I think. On- site grown produce- very fresh, light , nice atmosphere, excellent service- but not stuffy. Totally made me rethink Hotel food. Just wondering if others have had a similarly good experience or was I just lucky? :raz:

ksoss

It is indeed the same gentlemen who own / operate Arrows in Ogunquit. I haven't been yet, but it is definitely on my list. I really enjoy Arrows and I'm hoping this will be someplace to tide me over between trips to Maine.

I guess the exec chefs are the folks who run Arrows in Maine... Ogunquit I think.  On- site grown produce- very fresh, light , nice atmosphere, excellent service- but not stuffy.  Totally made me rethink Hotel food.  Just wondering if others have had a similarly good experience or was I just lucky?  :raz:

I have been in the position where I have had to travel up to Burlington quite a bit over the past few weeks and stay at the Marriot where SW is. I have eaten at the bar numerous times with good results.

They serve the full menu at the bar and most of the times I have stuck with the great Kobe beef burger they serve. It is served on a Ciabatta roll, with a nice basil aioli that goes with it. You also get your choice of start sides. Chick pea fries, onion rings, jasmine rice, double baked potato etc.

Last time I was there I had their grilled pork chop that you again pick your starch side with. It was perfectly cooked, although the meat itself lacked flavor unfortunately.

They are big on the "dipping sauces that you get with your mains, they have a selection of these that you can use. They seem to be all over the map, a "hot and numb" sauce, a harissa sauce, a "mom's sauce" which is basically emulsified balsamic and oil along with a few others. I have only tried the hot and numb and harissa and they were ok.

Overall the food is good -- I find it slightly high in terms of prices, the Kobe burger being 19 bucks, and the pork chop being 28. I will keep going back when i stay up there (again this coming Thursday) as the alternatives are the Cheesecake factory or Rainforest cafe.

Oh, they also make an excellent Whiskey smash, and actually use a jigger making it.

Props to them.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin