• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Krakovski Cookies

greenbean

Hello,

I live in Atlanta and there is a bakery here called Alon's that has these great cookies called Krakovski. I have done Google searches, but can't find any recipes. The cookie is like a chewy almond macaron with a thin raspberry filling, but it's not a sandwich, more like two cut pieces put back together before baking. I think this is a Polish/Jewish pastry based on the name and the fact that some of the Google results refer to Passover. I would appreciate some direction if anyone knows how I might find a recipe (or at least where I might go to ask).

Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've never asked about the background of these cookies, but they're not Mazurkas. I should have taken a picture before I ate them all, but I usually think of that after I've popped the last one in my mouth.

The Krakovski are 1 1/2", squarish and a pale golden brown. Based on the shape and construction, it seems like the cookie starts out as two pieces and is put together before baking. My theory is that the dough is made and half is chilled, then raspberry filling is thinly spread over the chilled half. It seems that the dough is then cut into squares and a raspberry bottom is pushed into the unchilled top and baked (perhaps chilled again before baking).

At one time they sold them in a bag with an ingredient list, but not anymore. Ah well, I'll keep looking. I used to run into the owner at demos here and there, but I'm out of that circle right now.

Thanks.