• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Irish Whiskey Cocktails

• 3 months later...

I make a Jameson manhattan-riff at my place that has really got some fans to it:

The Dark Skye

1.5oz Jameson

.25oz Noilly Prat Blanc

.25oz Dubonnet Rouge

.25oz Benedictine

Stir very well, strain into glass rinsed with a dash of Laphroaig 10yr

Garnish with flamed lemon coin

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

• 4 months later...

Increasingly I find that Redbreast is one of my half dozen favorite spirits, neat, rocks, or in cocktails. I've been fiddling around with orange rosemary syrup (orange rinds, rosemary, simple steeped for a while) and using Islay-style whisk(e)y as an accent. The proportions below rely on an intensely orangey and rosemary-y syrup, and while I think that bitters can vary in many drinks for something to work, in this case, I think you need the JTDs. If you sub in a straight-up Islay unlike the caramel-edged McCarthy's, you might want to bump the syrup a bit. As this is a take on Ted Kilpatrick's Scotland the Brave, and as Kilpatrick is, well... you'll figure it out:

Kilpatrick the Brave

2 oz Redbreast

3/4 oz orange rosemary simple syrup

1/2 oz McCarthy's Oregon Single Malt Whiskey

1/4 oz Fernet Branca

dash Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas Own Decanter bitters

Stir; strain; garnish with a pinched rosemary sprig poked through an orange peel that you've twisted over the drink.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 4 years later...

Irish Mermaid (Massimo La Rocca) with Irish whiskey (Redbreast), cherry heering (Luxardo cherry liqueur), Aperol, orgeat (homemade), Angostura bitters

17228145132_0b3c1feb39_z.jpg

Seemed too sweet and odd on paper, but was actually quite nice. The Aperol kept it balanced, and the flavor of the whiskey really came through.

Another Irish Whiskey + Aperol combo (who knew) - The Glorious Socialite (Benjamin Davies) with Jameson Irish whiskey (upgraded to Redbreast 12-year), Aperol, Lustau Puerto fino sherry (Lustau Jarana fino), Lillet blanc, Fee brothers whiskey barrel aged bitters, discarded lemon twist (oops).

Spicy indeed. Small sips.

17043679259_c56b245804_z.jpg

Weeski (David Wondrich) with Redbreast 12-year Irish whiskey, Lillet, Cointreau, orange bitters. It's like training wheels for people who have never had Irish whiskey. So I am with Dan on this one. I think I'd rather drink the whiskey by itself. :)

17306481891_caeba634fb_z.jpg

• 1 year later...

Irish cocktail (Harry Johnson via Frederic Yarm) with Green Spot irish whisky plus a touch of Luxardo maraschino, Pierre Ferrand dry curacao, St. George absinthe, Dr. Elemegirab's Boker's bitters. I would go slightly easier on the maraschino next time, otherwise it's a nice one with a touch of sweetness and nice complex flavors.

Irish cocktail (Harry Johnson via Frederic Yarm) with Green Spot irish whisky, Luxardo maraschino, Pierre Ferrand dry curacao, St. George absinthe, Dr. Elemegirab's Boker's bitters