• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Mangoes - News, Discussion

Wow, that is really cheap, almost half of the UK wholesale price. I thought Indian mangoes were harder to come by in the USA, more common are the Caribbean, Central and South American varieties. Are you sure they are Alphonso?

Early season Alphonso are never as sweet as they can be and whilst waiting for this first batch to ripen a little I made a salsa with one and served it with scallop ceviche and avocado:

P4118257.JPG

• 1 month later...

Beautiful looking dish, Prawncrackers.

I have just taken delivery of two boxes of Alphonso mangoes - a box that is ready to eat now (£11 for a dozen) and second that will be ready in a week or so (£9 for a dozen). I am eating Alphonso after several years now and these do not taste as sweet as my memory would have it....slightly underwhelmed.

IMG_0283_2.jpg

Yes the Badami this season are better than the Alphonso but still not as good as last years. I will always buy a box of each if they're available as they're very different in flavour but are both amazingly sweet when they're at their best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Most of the country is under a foot of snow. But it would appear that the first Indian mangoes are here already! March 27th a whole fortnight earlier than last year. I bought a box of Alphonso and Badami, each £12 per dozen. Now we play the ripening game...

Alphonsos and snow, a combination never seen before

image.jpg

I saw Alphonsos in the supermarket last week, cost was $1 each. They didn't look great, so I passed. Usually they will come down to 2/$1.00 for one week of the season.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...

Got a box of 12 Alphonso mangoes earlier this week - boy, are they disappointing! Still has that heady smell, but the taste is nothing like what it should be. Like Prawncrackers upthread, these are Kaybee - so I'll be interested to see what his experience is like.

At the moment i can only buy the ones imported by Kaybee. Out of the dozen or so Alphonso I've tried so far, only one was any good. The others have not travelled well at all, spoilt and fermented near the stone giving an unpleasant sourness.

All of the Badami have been very poor.