• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Isgro's, Sarcones and Di Bruno's

brescd01

Wow, Bluehensfan, I couldn't disagree with you more. I've watched them bake and mix frostings at Flying Monkey, and they definitely use butter. And my family, which is very very fussy about their baked goods, loves the cupcakes they sell.

Eileen

Eileen,

I'm not implying that the Flying Monkey uses lard, but rather stating that is how their icing tastes.

But then again, since Twinkies have no butter in them whatsoever, anything's possible!

Starbucks serves some of the worst baked goods in the world, IMHO. I never go there unless it is the only coffee shop around and I am desperate. and then I only buy coffee, never anything from their baked goods case.

You buy coffee at Starbucks? :shock:

I stick to tea there unless:

--they're giving it away

--I want one of those really sweet coffee-and-whipped-cream-type concoctions

As for prepared foods: I haven't yet tried Union Gourmet, which opened last month right next to me, but for what they're charging, I sure hope they're better than what everyone has been reporting here.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 weeks later...
, though I have occasionally indulged in something like the Pesce Alla Crema to much delight; that last item bowled over a visiting friend from Devon (UK) last September.

You might mean Pesche - peaches - instead of Pesce - fish.

A fish cream confection would be "interesting" though.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Yesterday my wife threw a party for her 34th and her having finished her dissertation (Rhetoric, U Minnesota), catered by Isgros and Sarcones.

Isgro's "best cake" was good, not great, as were their petit fours. Sarcone's antipasto plates and sandwiches were good, not great. And Di Bruno's prepared foods (I throw them in just to stir the pot) are good, not great. Di Bruno's greatest sin is monotony of dressings and preparations.

Now I love Di Bruno's and I would use Sarcone's in a heartbeat for another party, don't get me wrong. And I have not had better sandwiches in Philadelphia (or better antipasto). Nevertheless, I was underwhelmed by Philadelphia's best.

Now bring it on.

Well I was in NYC over the weekend and tried a few items at City Bakery, and if this is the best the Big Apple can do as far as a cookie or a scone, all things considered I'd much rather be in Philadelphia!

, though I have occasionally indulged in something like the Pesce Alla Crema to much delight; that last item bowled over a visiting friend from Devon (UK) last September.

You might mean Pesche - peaches - instead of Pesce - fish.

A fish cream confection would be "interesting" though.

Yup. But creamed fish is good! Creamed Finnan Haddie over toast points for all! Better than Sh*t on a Shingle.

Edited by rlibkind (log)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report