• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tiny dice, thin slices.

Adam Balic

No, no -- the sharper the better. What exactly are you slicing that sticks? If you do a lot of slicing of meats or fish, you might want to invest in a Granton-edge knife -- the kind that has oval or roundish cutouts along the edge of the blade. These reduce drag and allow the knife to slide through without the food sticking.

But, hey, stuff sticks to a blade. Just wipe it off (carefully, so you don't wipe off any of your skin :wink: ) Or try Kyle's suggestion (I know I will!).

for cucumbers, i've found that if you cut at a slight angle, they will (mostly) fall off the knife on the right side, so that you don't cut them twice. but the knife size may matter, too. when cutting potatoes in cubes, i use a boning knife (yes!), drawing it through the potatos in stead of the usual cutting motion. the cuts stay in place, and it's pretty fast work! this is a bit tough on the edge, though, and will demand some honing if you do a lot of potatoes.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

My main problem is garlic. :angry:

Garlic has oil in it, so what you do is crush it with the side of your knife, then sprinkle fine salt on it. The salt will absorb the oil, and voila - no garlic sticking to your knife. Also, the garlic oil ends up in your food (where you want it), rather than on your cutting board. I'm not sure what one would do if one were slicing the garlic rather than chopping or mincing it.

- S

I'm not sure what one would do if one were slicing the garlic rather than chopping or mincing it.

- S

Maybe I'm approaching this in the wrong way. I slice it and then chop or mince it. What's the correct approach?

The correct answer is: whatever way works for you.

But often, it's done like this:

1. The clove is cut lengthwise from one end almost to the other, to make a few "almost slices."

2. The clove (or the knife) is rotated 90 degrees, and the operation is repeated, again lengthwise.

3. The operation is completed by cutting widthwise at narrow intervals to release the mincees.

You can do onions this way, too.

Or you could get a (shudder) garlic press.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

1. The clove is cut lengthwise from one end almost to the other, to make a few "almost slices."

2. The clove (or the knife) is rotated 90 degrees, and the operation is repeated, again lengthwise.

3. The operation is completed by cutting widthwise at narrow intervals to release the mincees.

I just lean on it with the side of my knife. a couple of chops later, another lean and "smush," and it's pretty much done. jaques pepin is the reigning king of garlic and knive skills, in my book. garlic doesn't have a chance with jaques in the house yo.

I just lean on it with the side of my knife.  a couple of chops later, another lean and "smush," and it's pretty much done.  jaques pepin is the reigning king of garlic and knive skills, in my book.  garlic doesn't have a chance with jaques in the house yo.

I was about to write that such elementary procedure went without saying. But then I realized that the insouciant introduction of a second lean and smush lifts your technique above the mundane.

Thank you.

But don't you get a lot of little bits sticking to the knife? :hmmm:

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Mincing it I find easy, but peeling it can be a pain (unless I crush it first, which I don't always want to).  Any brilliant insights?

i cut off the end that has that bit that holds the works together, then tap it with the knive. the paper then comes off pretty easily, and the shape of the garlic remains.

I chop off each end and the rest then usually comes off easily.

I too learnt to chop onions years ago from Jacques Pepin's La Technique - just in the way Dave The Cook describes for garlic. But I don't bother with not cutting all the way through to the end with garlic - too fiddly - and I find it pretty easy to keep all the slices, then matchsticks together with my left hand as I chop.

v

But don't you get a lot of little bits sticking to the knife? :hmmm:

well, the garlic that's on the board actually acts to stick to the garlic on the knife, pulling it off when you rub the blade over that garlic. it's like using gum to get gum off of your face. gum likes gum better than it likes your lip. and i think garlic often times likes garlic (and the board) better than it does your knife.

:blink:

well, the garlic that's on the board actually acts to stick to the garlic on the knife, pulling it off when you rub the blade over that garlic.  it's like using gum to get gum off of your face.  gum likes gum better than it likes your lip.  and i think garlic often times likes garlic (and the board) better than it does your knife.

:blink:

Well, I meant my question half as a joke and half to get back on topic, but you're I think you're right.

And as for:

jaques pepin is the reigning king

I have to thank you for helping me figure out these:

navyt.jpg

And one does not even have to guess which Jacques. The answer is either something out of La Technique, or "payunt eet wis zee whyut shocolot and let eet coool."

Either way, you get a great answer.

Oops. Off topic again. :unsure:

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

That's how I do - but the little buggers still stick to the knife.

Onions I have no problem with. Skin it and cut it in half length-wise. Lay the flat side down, and slice it some more length-wise while keeping it all together. Then, if you want it finer, cut it cross-wise. Then mince it if that's what you're going for.

the little buggers still stick to the knife.

The bastards.

Onions fall of the knife pretty much by their own weight, don't you think? And the pieces are bigger than minced garlic. Plus, onions are watery, rather than oily like garlic.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Onions fall of the knife pretty much by their own weight, don't you think? And the pieces are bigger than minced garlic. Plus, onions are watery, rather than oily like garlic.

The onions will fall off your knife if you don't use a thumb and forefinger to hold them together for the cross-wise slicing.

Edit: That wasn't too clear. What I meant was that the onion slices should be kept together for the cross-wise slicing.