• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding Wines to Pair with BBQ

aidan

I am getting married this summer, and I am still trying to decide on the wine. My fiancee and I are planning and paying, and as a young couple we aren't overly endowed with money. So what I am looking for, is some advice on good wines to pick that are:

A. easily accessible

B. not too expensive (under 10 dollars a bottle wholesale)

C. good for a summer BBQ

As far as the food, we are having BBQ. There will be ribs, pulled pork, corn bread, watermelon, and some chicken as well. I want a variety of wines, and I am really leaning towards rose. I also want some bottles of white, and only a few bottles of red. This is an outdoor wedding, and more than likely it will be hot, so a cool rose or a white would probably be more readily consumed than a red by the majority of people. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rose is a great idea. there are plenty of liter sized bottles of decent reisling, gruner veltliner, and muller thurgau. look for some that carry the terry thiese selection label. for reds i'd look for some 2006 or 2007 beaujolais or beaujolais villages.

When I think 'outdoor' and 'cool' and 'summertime' and 'wine,' I can't help but think Sangria!

You might have several bottles of whatever wines you choose, but also some beautiful pitchers of sparkling Sangria with their colorful slices of lemon, lime and orange. One advantage of this is that you can buy cheaper wine, and you can stretch it with fruit juices and/or lemon lime or other soda water.

Here's my personal very favorite summertime drink. Which, I might add, I've served successfully with barbecue many times. It's light and tasty and absolutely gorgeous.

Peach Sangria

2 ripe peaches, peeled & sliced (in winter, I use frozen)

1 lemon, sliced thinly, seeds removed

1 orange, sliced thinly, seeds removed

3 T sugar (or to taste, depending on size of lemon)

1/4 c Peach Schnaaps

750 ml dry white wine (about the size of one standard bottle)

Combine all and chill well, at least one hour. Serves two very jovial people at two generous glasses each.

As is immediately apparent, there is no brandy, so this is a pleasant, light, fresh-tasting summertime drink.

And on occasion I have, at the end of the evening, fished out any remaining peaches (now wonderfully marinated) and served them over pound cake and ice cream for dessert.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

First, have beer available. Lots of it. But good stuff.

Red: Just go with a Ravenswood Vintner's Blend Zin or Cline Old Vines.

White: Pierre Sparr "One" or Hugel Gentil or Bonny Doon Pacific Rim Riesling.

Pink: Rosa del Golfo Rosato or Domaine Fonsante Vin Gris.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

First, have beer available.  Lots of it.  But good stuff.

Brad's right. You might not be thinking that beer fits in with your desired ambience, but everybody loves it and you'll go through a lot.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

First, have beer available.  Lots of it.  But good stuff.

Brad's right. You might not be thinking that beer fits in with your desired ambience, but everybody loves it and you'll go through a lot.

Beer has already been taken care of. That was the easy part. We have a couple of great microbreweries by my house that we are getting a few barrels from. As far as ambiance, the wedding caters to a beer drinking crowd.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. I was thinking about a Beaujolais for a red, but was slightly worried about an almost overpowering fruitiness to it. I am toying with the idea of chilling it slightly. This is a day wedding, so it could get pretty hot. I am also leaning towards an Australian Shiraz.

I was thinking about a Beaujolais for a red, but was slightly worried about an almost overpowering fruitiness to it.  I am toying with the idea of chilling it slightly.  This is a day wedding, so it could get pretty hot.

Well, when they say reds should be served at 'room temperature,' they mean 'wine cellar' temperature and not 'sunny southern summer day outside' temperature. I'm no expert, but I think you'd be fine to chill it slightly.

you would be fine to chill your bojo slightly. zins and bar b q is great. zin and summer heat not so great.

you could find cru beaujolais for 10 or under wholsale, these would have a bit more complexity and maybe won't be as fruit forward as beaujolais or beaujolais village.

Don't laugh, but Lambrusco and BBQ go great together. Seriously. I thought the same thing until I tried it. Delicious and a completely surprising pairing.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Don't laugh, but Lambrusco and BBQ go great together.  Seriously.  I thought the same thing until I tried it.  Delicious and a completely surprising pairing.

Actually, it sounds good! So good that in fact I think I'm gonna have some really soon. Maybe even tomorrow.

Thanks, Katie.

:rolleyes:

Don't laugh, but Lambrusco and BBQ go great together.  Seriously.  I thought the same thing until I tried it.  Delicious and a completely surprising pairing.

Actually, it sounds good! So good that in fact I think I'm gonna have some really soon. Maybe even tomorrow.

Thanks, Katie.

sparkling lambrusco is suprisingly good also.

Thanks, Katie.

sparkling lambrusco is suprisingly good also.

Actually, that's what I meant. The slightly effervescent red that's slightly sweet as well. Picks up on the flavors in BBQ sauce really well, in addition to having enough oomph as a red wine to stand up to pork or beef over fire.

The first time a very well trained sommeliere friend suggested this to me, I laughed out loud. But it totally works. Really truly.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol