• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Meat

Fat Guy

I think that most stuff tastes better at about "body temp," which is about 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit for everyone, except tommy, of course.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

You know... brisket is pretty good cold. Different from steak, which I think has to be slightly warmer.

Hamburger? As a full patty its horrible cold, but crumbled up when cold and put into a salad as a cold topping it works.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

By "cold" do we mean "chilled", as in right from the refrigerator? Or cold as in room temperature or a bit less?

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I prefer cold as in room temperature. The flavor seems much better to me than fridge-cold meat. I love cold fried or bbq chicken best, followed by cold steak sliced thin and added to a salad.

Meatloaf: never. It was bad enough having to eat it hot, but when my mom would start in with "this will make a lovely sandwich for lunch tomorrow with ketchup" it was hard to stop the gag reflex. My dad loved it, though. I think the only time he ever had my mom pack lunch for him was when we had leftover meatloaf.

Snowangel is definitely onto something here. TEXTURE. Cold (or if you prefer, not-hot) meat usually has a firmer texture. So you have to chew it a bit more, which increases saliva flow etc. etc. Cold from the fridge is even firmer and requires even more chewing, more internal juice flow, and so on. But that's just my experience.

Interesting, too, that I don't think anyone has mentioned mixing the cold meat with other ingredients -- rather, they prefer to serve it on the side.

I think I mentioned composed salads which should include tossed salads and mixed salads and certainly cold steak on greens with dressing (mayo, vinairgrette, etc.)

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.