• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spring Hill

This place has polish, grace, and very good food.

We had 2 starters, a shellfish course of clams with pork belly and lemon mayo, a pasta with favas and tons of morels, and a dessert (chocolate "cake" and ice cream,) as well as one house cocktail and the only quibble we had was the coffee bbq dip for the wonderful crispy sweetbreads was not to our liking. The fireweed honey mustard and the herbed creme fraiche, bottle 'em and sell them at the door! The other starter of raviolo with duck egg and duck ham with green sauce - well, can I order two for breakfast, please?

Lots of hard surfaces, but fresh and well designed. Some of the best service I've had lately. Friendly too.

The bacon cheese burgers, served with fries cooked in beef fat, were flying off the wood grill (I think it is wood) and at $15, they looked really good. I'd like to try the rib eye with twice baked potato pie too. House made ice cream and sorbet - think salted peanut ice cream or campari grapefruit sorbet.

Edited by tsquare (log)

This place has polish, grace, and very good food.

We had 2 starters, a shellfish course of clams with pork belly and lemon mayo, a pasta with favas and tons of morels, and a dessert (chocolate "cake" and ice cream,) as well as one house cocktail and the only quibble we had was the coffee bbq dip for the wonderful crispy sweetbreads was not to our liking. The fireweed honey mustard and the herbed creme fraiche, bottle 'em and sell them at the door! The other starter of raviolo with duck egg and duck ham with green sauce - well, can I order two for breakfast, please?

Lots of hard surfaces, but fresh and well designed. Some of the best service I've had lately. Friendly too.

The bacon cheese burgers, served with fries cooked in beef fat, were flying off the wood grill (I think it is wood) and at $15, they looked really good. I'd like to try the rib eye with twice baked potato pie too. House made ice cream and sorbet  - think salted peanut ice cream or campari grapefruit sorbet.

I absolutely love the sweetbreads and think that they really need no sauce at all.

Rocky

Lots of hard surfaces, but fresh and well designed.

Noise level?

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Noise level?

Not too bad - the place was close to full, but the conversation level was low. There were two kids enjoying dinner with their parents - well behaved, all. We were able to talk across the table, and talk to the owners without shouting.

Noise level?

When I visited, it was about 1/2 full and quite loud. Another friend has been twice and also found the noise level to be louder than you'd like. I wouldn't let it stop me from going back in general, though - the food was fantastic.