• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Owner of Red's Eats Dies

Country

WISCASSET, Maine (AP) - Allen "Red" Gagnon, owner of an informal coastal eatery whose lobster rolls made it an international icon of Maine, has died, but his business will go on.

The 71-year-old Gagnon died of respiratory failure at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston last Friday. But his daughter Debbie Cronk says the "Red’s Eats" business will continue in the shack that’s become a familiar landmark to thousands of people who pass through Wiscasset.

From the Bangor (Maine) Daily.

If Holly is still around, someone should pass this on to him. He was the biggest advocate for Red's lobster rolls.

I will remember Mr. Gagnon for the hard work he put into Red's Eats, building it into a world famous destination. He redefined the lobster roll, serving what many consider to consistently be Maine's finest. Very few men have the drive and passion to become the best at what they do. Red Gagnon did.

gallery_14_1128_78212.jpg

I'll always remember my first Red's Lobster Roll.

gallery_14_1128_3442.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter