• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pierre Koffman possibly retiring?

There was an article in the the business section of The Observer about the possible recession in the restaurant industry. It included a throwaway remark that this was a reason for Pierre Koffman retiring early. Nothing else no dates, anything, difficult to tell whether it was a rumour or fact as there was no other information.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

La Tante Claire officially closes on Saturday 21st December, and say they don't know whether the restaurant will be re-opening. Which probably means it won't be?

I presume Petrus is not relocating to The Berkeley that soon, or we would have heard something by now? But don't know ...

Simon

I hope Koffman continues cooking in London. I had two lovely meals at the old Tante Claire,though I've not been since it moved.

Koffman is a classically trained "old school" chef who has determinedly avoided media glare throughout his career and concentrated on his restaurant. The article doesn't say why the Savoy is not renewing his contract but it would be a shame if it was because they felt he wasn't media savvy or high profile enough.

On the other hand I suppose if people are not going to his restaurant while they're queuing up to get into GR it must say something about how a restaurant and a chef need to market themselves these days.

My understanding is that the hotel wanted the kudos of a 3 star chef. Koffmann has arguably been on a slide since he moved there, being demoted to 2 stars straightaway. He now only scores 3 rosettes in the AA and 8 in the good food guide. Wareing on the otherhand is on the way up, almost certain to get a second star in January, and gagging for his third.

Koffmann has allegedly had problems with the management from the minute he moved in, with an arguement over LTC being used as a breakfast room for the hotel being reported in Caterer. Perhaps things never really settled down for him there.

Jon,

I'm not sure about lead times for reservations, but what I can tell you is that I was able to book a table this morning for dinner on December 17th.

Probably best not to hang about if you want to go - now word is out my guess is an awful lot of foodies will want one last visit before December 21st, and reservations will fill up very quickly.

Simon

According to the Caterer Marcus Wareing is moving Petrus to the Berkeley Hotel to replace the Tante Claire next year. He is also going to be supervising the Savoy.

Paul

Well someone had better start supervising the Savoy, from what I hear from a friend who was there last weekend, the floor was basically a moving carpet of mice. Yuck.

According to the Caterer Marcus Wareing is moving Petrus to the Berkeley Hotel to replace the Tante Claire next year. He is also going to be supervising the Savoy.

Paul

Well someone had better start supervising the Savoy, from what I hear from a friend who was there last weekend, the floor was basically a moving carpet of mice. Yuck.

Times must be tight at LTC, I managed to book with 12 days notice for 16th November.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Having booked twice recently (and had to cancel one) I get the sense that the restaurant is rarely full, which is probably one of the reasons why the contract is not being renewed. Equally it is I beilieve quite a large dining room, considerably bigger than Petrus, Capital etc and it is probably the most expensive restaurant in London? Which may account for a lack of business, if that is indeed the case. I imagine that Marcus Wareing's name (plus Gordon Ramsay associations) will mean the restaurant is full although it will be interesting to see if Petrus' prices go up.

Paul

Times must be tight at LTC, I managed to book with 12 days notice for 16th November.

Looks like you're the advanced guard,Matthew. Maybe you can report back and tell us if Koffman is demob happy and doesn't care anymore or whether he's going out in a blaze of glory.

I don't know if Koffman is being pushed or if he's jumping, but either way this is a great loss for gastronomic London. It is also confirmation that food is below funny haircuts and marketing on the list of key qualities that ensure a restaurant's success in Britain.

I shall be wearing a black jacket as mark of respect :wink:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"